CMT- worth doing?

Does anybody have any experience of CMT exams? Are they valued by employers or not? Thanks

Copulating Monkey Training?

Ho, Ho, Ho! Chartered Market Technician, not C** on My T**s.

Although that sounds like a lot more fun. I visit different fund managers every week and have never seen anyone carry the CMT tag.

I saw this one guy carry CFA, CAIA and CMT. I was impressed, but…

I’d go with CAIA before CMT…seems like its gaining in popularity with Firms

I once met a guy who was a Jedi Knight. I would have thought he would’ve a least been a Director.

pah. We have 390,000 jedi in the UK. Never surrender!! http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=297

The CMT is worth doing!

First off, people seem to love mocking it. However, these people are not holders of the CMT or even the CFA which they preach about.

The CMT is a professional grade / Masters level designation that specializes in Technical Analysis and IS sought after by employers.

As previously mentioned, people love to mock it but Technical Analysis is a rapidly expanding area and has been noted by many - including the chairman of the Fed and Warren Buffet.

Furthermore, CFAs are also becoming CMTs. It is claimed that CFAs are ‘complimenting’ their CFA with the CMT. However it is more likely they are actually ‘converting’ to the CMT.

Lastly, regarding the crash of 2008, most Fundamental Analysts we sat dead in the water where as most Technical Analysts were still standing and generating profits.

I’m sure there will be some back last to this post so I’ll finish y saying I am a CMT candidate however I’m also doing the CFA, CFTe and th FRM. Therefore I am both Technical and Fundamental with my preference being Technical.

I would strongly disagree, the CAIA is a watered down version of the CFA and employers know it.

No, not ‘c** on my t**s’ - but good one. Very original. Perhaps you could obtain the CMT designation before mocking it?

how long does cmt take in terms of study time. how many levels? isnt there a thesis or somethin like that for the final?

google is your friend :slight_smile:

Wow, wrong twice in a row. Ask any hedge fund if they give a shyt about technical analysis. CAIA is not a watered down CFA, that is absurd. It has a focus on alternatives, not just stocks/bonds focused like CFA. CMT is a total waste of time, unless you plan to write about techinical analysis.

There is an Equity Analyst who works for Wells Fargo and she is a CFA Charterholder as well as a CMT charterholder. I’m forgetting her name atm but I believe she is well known in the field. That’s about the only time I’ve seen this designation. But I haven’t had much exposure to ER, Prop trading or FICC divisions so it could be of use there.

Prop trading died in the aughts.

^i thought it was murdered