Any book recommendation to read after a few weeks?

Any book recommendation? Would like to read after a few days. I have Security Analysis but scared to open it. Any comments about Valuation by McKinsey?

Extremely good book on valuation. Strongly recommended… This is a list I found on the web if you are interested in: • Behavioral Finance, Psychology Shefrin, Hersh. Beyond Greed and Fear Smith, Adam. The Money Game Cialdini, Robert. Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion Gilovich & Belsky Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes Plous, Scott. The Psychology and Judgment of Decision Making Gilovich, Thomas. How We Know What Isn’t So Haugen, Robert. The Inefficient Stock Market Russo, J. Decision Traps: 10 Barriers to Brilliant Decision Making Tobias & McKay Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds Claxton, Guy. Hare Brain, Tortoise Mind Pring, Martin. Investment Psychology Explained: Classic Strategies to Beat the Market Wright, Robert The Moral Animal: Why We Are the Way We Are • Historical and biographical Baruch, Bernard. Baruch: My Own Story Brooks, John. Go-Go Years: Drama and Crashing Finale of Wall Street’s Bullish 60s Buffett, Warren. The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America Byrne, John. Chainsaw: The Notorious Career of Al Dunlap Garber, Peter. Famous First Bubbles Giesst, Charles. Wall Street: A History Gordon, John S. The Great Game Ellis & Vertin Classic II: Another Investor’s Anthology Lefevre, Edwin. Reminiscences of a Stock Operator Schwager, Jack. Market Wizards: Interviews with Top Traders Schwager, Jack. The New Market Wizards Schwed, Fred. Where Are the Customers’ Yachts? Soros, George. Soros on Soros: Staying Ahead of the Curve Steinhardt, Jim. No Bull Train, John. The Money Masters Train, John. The New Money Masters • Economics Friedman, Milton. Capitalism and Freedom Friedman, Thomas. The Lexus and the Olive Tree Hazlitt, Henry. Economics in One Lesson O’Rourke, PJ. Eat the Rich • Analysis Bernstein, Peter. Against the Gods Collins & Porras Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies Ellis, Charles. Winning the Loser’s Game: Timeless Strategies for Successful Investing Fisher, Philip. Common Stock and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings Graham & Dodd Security Analysis Hagstrom, Robert. The Warren Buffett Way Lynch, Peter. One Up On Wall Street Malkiel, Burton. A Random Walk Down Wall Street Schilit, Howard. Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks Staley, Kathryn. The Art of Short Selling • Other Carnegie, Dale. How To Win Friends and Influence People Goodspeed, Bennett. The Tao Jones Averages Hoff, Benjamin. The Tao of Pooh Hoff, Benjamin. The Te of Piglet Rand, Ayn. Atlas Shrugged Wright, Robert. Nonzero: The Logic of Human Destiny

Your comments for books you liked would help. I can always go to Amazon to read the reviews, but a review from CFA level III candidate would be more relevant.

haven’t read madness of crowds but that is on my list as well…gonna start with that as soon as i finish “the match” about hogan and nelson vs. venturi and ward golf match…I HAVE read reminiscences of a stock operator…i recommend highly…light fast read…always relevent. have also read reviews of barry ritholtz’s new book, “bailout nation” and am gonna read that soon as well…then am going back to fiction…before picking up Security Analysis again…free time to read, its sweet

I’m not picking up a finance book for at least a month. Since the exam on Saturday I started ‘Atlas Shrugged’ and ‘A Brief History of Time’, I’m about 70 pages into each of them.

Light on Yoga BKS Iyengar just started it last night Namaste

raeding In the line of Fire-biography of President Pervez musharraf…indians on the forum, go get it… u would love it frankly…for pakistanis, u guys did great throwing him out…

Who are your favorite fiction authors? I highly recommend Steinbeck, but his books may too old for most of the folks. His books are amazing; start with Tortilla Flat or Cannery Row. I have some books that I bought from Amazon last year that I never read: * All about Hedge funds - Is any book in this series “All about …” any good? * All about Index funds * Black Swan - I read a few pages of this, but did not like the tone of the author for whatever reason. Also, it is not very accessible book; my low IQ may be part of it), *Fooled by Randomness * My life as a Quant - This is pretty interesting book. * Hedge Hogging - It is a hodge-podge. Did not suite me. It does have lots of unconnected, interesting stories. If I remember correctly, the author does put in some market expectations he had at some point and how it would affect the market/economy. Relevant for level III.

Buddham I’ve read some but was not able to complete, sorry buddy. But take my word on Mckinsey’s valuation book. Also there’s a pocket book called “The Mckinsey Way” you can also read it on the side. free on the web. How did you find Atlas Shrugged Bankin?

itstoohot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > How did you find Atlas Shrugged Bankin? It’s one of those books like Animal Farm, 1984, and Moby Dick that I’ve heard about my whole life, but never got around to reading. I plan to read those three in the coming months as well.

I just started “Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation” by Edward Chancellor. A mix of finance and history. Good read so far, interesting how we as humans seem to repeat the same behavior again and again. Thought it might shed some light on the most recent market madness.

Bankin’, read 1984 and hold on to your stones while you do…eerie that it was written 60 years ago…the guy was prescient.

“Ron Jeremy, the rise of an American Icon”

This is the funniest thing I’ve read. http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Feckham-My-Backside-Back/dp/0752867601 Fecks is everything Becks is not. He inhabits his own stratosphere of crapness. He is the anti-King Midas; everything he touches turns to shit. Yet when it comes to self-awareness he has so little he barely knows his own name. He thinks he’s cool. He thinks he’s hard. He thinks he’s trendy. He’s seriously deluded. Incredibly, however, there are similarities between Fecks and Becks. They both hail from East London. They both went to live in Manchester at the age of twelve. They both now live in Spain. And they both love women who’d like to be pop singers. Were David Feckham ever to have the world at his feet he’d only hoof it twelve yards over the cross bar.

Bankin’, if you find that you enjoy Moby Dick read “In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex”. The story of the Essex was part of Melville’s inspiration.

Big Trucks and Diggers, by Tung Mau

higgmond–great read, i endorse that one as well (used to spend quite a bit of time on Nantucket so was cool to read the names of so many that i have heard and seen for ever.) Another two along the same genre are “South,” the autobiographical account of the south pole expedition that got ice jammed and stranded for like 500 days. “Into Thin Air” is also good about the Everest expedition in the 90s where like 5 people died…good anti-CFA type reads.

“Enjoy my wife and my kids” by Tibwa “Whatching TV and play tennis” by Tibwa Start GMAT and shoot for 730+ starting next week.

buddham, Tortilla Flat is my #1 favorite book ever. Steinbeck is amazing. Everyone else, I have no idea how you all jump straight into more finance books immediately after finishing the test. I for one, definitely need a trip down the fiction aisle of the bookstore before I think of picking up another book on security analysis. But if you’re that laser-focused, good for you. I wish I was that permanently enthralled by finance, but I’m not. It sure would have made studying for these things easier.

Last year I read “We Pointed Them North: Recollections of a Cowpuncher” by E.C. “Teddy Blue” Abbott. About the life on the cattle drives of 1870’s and 1880’s. Not much finance in that, which was the way I wanted it.