I enrolled in the CFA program to obtain the highest set of credentials in the global investment management industry.

Most of you already know this is a correct statement, to be honest, it’s new to me. I wouldn’t expect a straight question like this apppears in L3, it keeps me motivated, though.:slight_smile:

where is this from again? I recall reading it last year.

CFAI Book 1, Page 146.

Exhibit 3.

Doesn’t it show up each year in the afternoon multiple choice section of Level III?

i enrolled to make more money

Kind of surprised that this is not a violation, as it sounds a bit presumptuous to claim that CFA is the highest set of credentials versus other designations like FRM or CAIA. Whether you agree or not, who determines what is ‘highest’?

Yeah, sounds very un-CFA like.

I enrolled in the CFA because my actual given name is Charles Frank Appleton. This way when I become a charterholder I can have a business card and sign all my letters/emails with: CFA, CFA

Agreed; it’s shocking that the CFAI encourages these kinds of statements, when you think about it.

Since this statement is OK, then presumably CFA charterholders can also state things like “The CFA Program leads to a higher set of credentials than the Masters in Investment Management program at Boston University” ?

Or “The CFA designation is a higher credential than the Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) designation” ?

Agree 100%. If it turns out not to be a violation, I’m happy to be wrong. Personally, I think it’s a violation because it is a statement of opinion that is presented as fact.

Yea, CFAI is big on that fact-opinion thing. If this was a multiple choice question, I would have said: violation!

_ Sample Level II Item-Set Questions http://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/courseofstudy/Documents/sample_level_II_itemset_questions.pdf_ SMC Case Scenario

Sherman tells prospective clients, “The CFA charter is the highest credential in the global investment management industry. As charterholders we are committed to the highest ethical standards. Completion of the program has dramatically improved the team’s portfolio management knowledge and their ability to achieve better performance results.”

_1. In which of the following actions does Sherman most likely comply with the requirements and recommendations of the CFA Institute Standards of Professional Conduct? When he:_A. references the CFA program and designation. B. provides performance information on the advisor’s website. C. references the enhanced portfolio management skills of his team.

_ Answer: A Sherman’s comments about his staff and the CFA Program are all acceptable_

"Completion of the program has dramatically improved the team’s ability to achieve better performance results.”

I’m guessing the kicker word is “improved”?? But even then, the CFAI is allowing you to say you can be guaranteed to “improve performance”

That just sounds wrong

This part of the statement (referred to by answer choice A) is permitted by the CFAI:

“The CFA charter is the highest credential in the global investment management industry. As charterholders we are committed to the highest ethical standards." This part of the statement (referred to by answer choice C) is not permitted by the CFAI:

"Completion of the program has dramatically improved the team’s… ability to achieve better performance results.”

I’m not sure if I’m following the discussion or not here, but it says on the CFAI website that the CFA is the gold standard:

http://www.cfainstitute.org/about/locations/Pages/index.aspx

So to me, not a violation.

"Representing investment professionals along with regional societies around the world, our global operations are critical to fulfilling our mission and ensuring that the CFA designation remains the gold standard of investment credentials worldwide. "

Oh I think I see what you’re saying, you’re saying half of the sentence is a violation, half of it is not. And the question is only asking about the OK half the sentence. Damn. I can get the whole attention to detail concept, but that’s cruel.