Pens

Was anyone else surprised by the pen requirement? I thought it was only an option.

(Mods, not referencing any question, rather exam format which is public info.)

Was this the first time they didn’t mention pencils?

last year they didn’t mention it too but it was okay to write with pencils … dont worry.

I checked with the proctor and they said it was ok.

I was very surprise, had to borrow a pencil cause I didn’t have one…honestly I didn’t read the instruction from the CFAI website before the exam…

abnitchas,

Based on what I read on my Question Book was, only pens allowed in blue or black. There was no mention of pencils…so I had to confirm if pencils were allowed as that is what I had planned on using. If you had only pens, I think you were ok anyway.

Cheers.

Did anyone else use pencil to write the AM?

A lot of candidates in my center (all my friends and others I saw) used pencil. The proctor told me they had this query from various candidates when he told me its ok to go ahead with pencil.

That’s good to hear… I only started second guessing myself AFTER the AM when some people were saying how they may have changed the rules this year… but browsing some of the forums, it seems like a number of people verified with CFA prior to this year’s exam that it was ok to use a pencil…