Schweser Vs. the CFA curriculum

Please advise from your experience which is better Schweser or the CFA curriculum

^please read through the threads on the LIII forum. This topic has been discussed a gazillion times (…and there is no definitive answer).

CFA curriculum

Schweser

CFA

Exactly.

CFA

+1

yes.

Exactly².

True

I would probably say CFA materials are better. But then again, the Schweser materials could be better when looking at it from the whollistic perspective.

I mainly used Schweser for all levels. For level 2 I read maybe 2-3 chapters in the original books ones, for level 3 I also read a couple of chapters there, I did all EOC questions in CFAI for level 3 though

Ive always used CFAI material. If you find the material interesting, CFAI is great stuff. Im also a multiple level retaker so take it for what its worth.

If you’re talking Level 3 only, then CFA. But do the 3-day Scheweser review class too.

CFA,

Pay attention to the miserable passing stats. I wouldn’t take any shortcuts.

Both. Start now with CFAI. Transition to Schweser when it becomes available.

Read Schweser and do practice PM exams.

But use CFAI for EOCs, blue boxes, and past AM sessions.

That’s it.

Use both + Investopedia + Wikipedia + Google. Use the CFA curriculum (not just books) to broaden your investment/finance knowledge and learn how to apply them, not just to take the test. The CFAI publication does not do a good job on certain topics, and for these you need to look for other resources. Economics and Implementation Shortfall are one good examples of how terrible a job the books do in explaining them.

Level I: Only used Schweser to study + 6* Schweser Mock + 1* Institute Mock Exam

Level II: Only used Scheswer to study + 6* Schweser mock + 2*Institute Mock Exam

Level III: Only used Scheswer to study + 6* Schweser mock + 5*Institute Mock Exam + Institute EOC questions

Passed all levels first time in 18 months.

Schweser will provide the knowledge necessary, you then just need to smash mock exams to get the practice and find out what the Institute are looking for.

If you have a deep desire to learn about any particular subject read the Institute books after you have got your Charter.