Warning Pilot Frixion Warning

Dude, I know I am crazy and I know there are a dozen Frixion threads already. But I have to pass this along. A week or so back mhannebert gave me a heart palpitation when he posted the Frixion package “not for exam use” disclaimer. Anyway a few minutes ago, while my wife was out of the house, I took three pages from a recent mock exam and put them to the test on my own because, well, because. I placed each page side by side in the oven. I set it to Bake 100 degrees. I was worried about explaining the whole kitchen fire thing so I stood at the window to keep close watch. I have no idea how fast an oven heats up from normal temperature, but the digital was still at 100 (the lowest reading) anyway to be cautious I opened the door and checked the pages after around 45 seconds. At this point, ALL WRITING HAD DISAPPEARED. No visible marks of any kind other than a slight indentation where mad scribbles and frantic writing once was. A photocopy of a blank page is a blank page. Seeing is believing. Feel free to call me a liar and give this a go. Though please be careful not to burn down anything. Needless to say I have no interest in the convenience of an erasable pen at this point, zero, none, nada, zip, buptkus. proceed.

i don’t think it’s paranoia… i looked at some erasables and they erase really, really easily… much easier than pencil. just rub it lightly and the ink is gone. and what’s the temperature in airline cargo hold? (i.e. maybe be higher than i think as they have animals in there, and my suitcase never seems cold)

This is craziness. I will be using the Pilot FriXon. I have been marking my books with them for weeks now and have noticed no fading of the ink.

^ yeah just make sure you don’t try to “cook the books”

No way guys. Now I’m gonna freak out. Have to make another trip to the store to buy pens I haven’t tested now??? Crap.

i don’t think i was talking about pilot frixion pen, although now i’m curious… can i buy it at a store, or only order online? anyway, tried out some cheap erasable pens, and i rubbed off shockingly easily.

I’m not gonna chance anymore. Just by rubbing it with my fingers hard enough the ink came off. Granted, nobody’s gonna rub that hard, but I can’t really write that fast with it anyway. Glad AF is here and we have people that care enough to do the oven test. More than I cared to do, but hey that’s just me

“If pen is exposed to temperature that reaches 140 Degrees F, the ink will be colorless when writing. To restore color, cool to at least 14 degrees F in freezer and the ink will again write in color.” Source: The backside of 3 pen packing. Not sure what it means.

PhillyBanker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > This is craziness. I will be using the Pilot > FriXon. I have been marking my books with them for > weeks now and have noticed no fading of the ink. It is crazy. I agree. I have been marking my books as well and I have found no fading, none. I heard increased temperature via friction erases the ink. So, I put a few pages in the oven at 100 degrees and it faded before my eyes in around a minute like some lemon juice invisible ink trick. Gone, whole page, not a mark on it. Looking at a page right now, an hour or so later, nothing. It is summer. I don’t know about you but when I get in my car after I leave it parked in the sun, with the windows closed, that black interior gets hot, maybe 100 degrees even.

Listen guys. You need an intervention. This is crazy. Your family is here. We all love you. The way you go on and on about pens for the exam makes me feel angry, and sad for you, and frightened. I want to cry. Please, come back from the brink. Just realize that you should just bring a regular FUCKING pen into the exam, and in the unlikely event that you need to make a correction, cross the fucking thing out. Please. Don’t make me call Dr. Drew.

^Didn’t you just end another thread with, and I quote, “Look at me, I’m a freaking basket case”? Anyway, I am using a regular pen for the AM. I wanted to pass along this info on the frixion in case there were any holdouts that still think they need the convenience of an erasable pen, or that it takes an extended period of time in a blast furnace to make the frixion’s ink disappear.

Didn’t mean to anger you slouiscar, just having a bit of fun. And yes, I am a basketcase.

sorry, I wasn’t angry. I am there with you. I think I need to sign off from the world for the next few days for my own good. seriously, somebody hold me. jeks, smokin hot?

Smokin’hot is holding me right now. Forget about it. Give Tibwa a call.

slouiscar Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dude, I know I am crazy and I know there are a > dozen Frixion threads already. But I have to pass > this along. > > A week or so back mhannebert gave me a heart > palpitation when he posted the Frixion package > “not for exam use” disclaimer. Anyway a few > minutes ago, while my wife was out of the house, I > took three pages from a recent mock exam and put > them to the test on my own because, well, > because. > > I placed each page side by side in the oven. I > set it to Bake 100 degrees. I was worried about > explaining the whole kitchen fire thing so I stood > at the window to keep close watch. I have no idea > how fast an oven heats up from normal temperature, > but the digital was still at 100 (the lowest > reading) anyway to be cautious I opened the door > and checked the pages after around 45 seconds. At > this point, ALL WRITING HAD DISAPPEARED. No > visible marks of any kind other than a slight > indentation where mad scribbles and frantic > writing once was. A photocopy of a blank page is > a blank page. > > Seeing is believing. Feel free to call me a liar > and give this a go. Though please be careful not > to burn down anything. > > Needless to say I have no interest in the > convenience of an erasable pen at this point, > zero, none, nada, zip, buptkus. > > proceed. Thank you. I used used this post to convince my wife that I am not completely crazy in a relative sense compared to other AF candidates. ; ) Totally insane in an absolute sense though. I will pick a pen in the next few days (and I’ll stay away from this one).

Which other erasable pen out there other than pilot and papermate erasables? Papermate erasable is horrible as it is 1mm and ball point. Anish is correct, it will reappear.

ok call me an ignorant bastard. I know a lot of you will blame me. I don’t even know the exact format of the exam so my next question should not surprise you. Why exactly do you want to use an erasable pen?

this thread is giving me Seinfeld flashbacks. Just use a normal pen that writes in normal ink. Scratch something out if you don’t want the person to mark it.

taketwo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > this thread is giving me Seinfeld flashbacks. > > Just use a normal pen that writes in normal ink. > Scratch something out if you don’t want the person > to mark it. That’s what I’m all about! Plus, you can write anywhere else you want to in the book (margins, “this page intentionally left blank - any marks made on this page will not be graded” pages) right? Organize your thoughts elsewhere if you really need to, but I don’t think regular pen is going to give you nightmares.

Just us a pencil if you want to erase… geez. As if we don’t have enough to worry about.