S&P cuts Russia's rating to JUNK

watch Putin dominate

like a dog with rabies

Meh. They also gave AAA to the biggest bags of odorous excrements ever assembled in the history of capitalism.

E-cookie to anyone can spot the reference.

why do russians like putin so much, the guy is single handedly killing themselves internally. pride is the #1 killer

^ Never underestimate nationalistic fervour.

Russians used to be hot $hit, with the world’s largest nuclear arsenal and was the world’s most powerful country, at least in their xenophobic minds. now they’re reduced to a dysfunctional emerging market that must adopt its archrivals economic and political policies or face messy bankrupcy. they’d rather stick with pride and pick an authoritarian leader so they can say they did it their way, rather than the AngloSaxon way.

I’m not Russian but my girlfriend is so I maybe can shed some light - Russians don’t really like Putin as such. They like him for the fact that he represents Russian Federation. And they’re one of the most patriotic people I’ve ever me, hence just by being their country’s leader, whether properly elected or not, he is bound to be liked by Russians.

Communism is a helluva drug.

Great, another Canadian armchair expert regurgitating media rubbish. As if Geo wasn’t enough.

True, just to expand a little, Russians are also relatively apathetic towards the political system for a variety of reasons - a trait shared with various other countries. Also, after the years of Gorbachev and Boris, Putin probably gets a lot of leeway due to the fact that he brings relative stability.

It is slightly ironic that a westerner is accusing the Russians of being xenophobic. That does seem to be the tangent in their media nowadays but it is far from accurate. While Russia has White Fascists roaming their streets they are no different from the English Defense League that are now visible in London or certain groups that have emerged in France. It is also hard in Russia to find ‘artistic cartoons’ that depict African-origin leaders as monkeys which seem to be available in every street corner in Paris. While, terrace ‘humor’ in Moscow can get extremely vile during futebal games it is worth noting that is no more extreme than places like Italy and Spain etc where the throwing of bananas and the the chant resembling monkey sounds are still commonplace.

^ I think the demographics play a role in this. Extremely few visible minorities live in Russia. Hard to get xenophobic violence when there is no one to target. There are more Chinese living within 5km of my house than the entire Russian Federation. Same with South Asians. So yes, claiming that there are few incidences of racism in a country that is visibly the same is foolish. And Russia has a very brutal history with the few minorities that have lived under its rule (Poles, Ukrainians, Chechens, etc.). Also, you definitely don’t want to be gay or of a religious minority in Russia. These aren’t real issues anymore in the West.

If you are implying that xenophoby in Russia is on the same level as xenophoby in western Europe then you are absolutely clueless.

Have you ever had the slightest contact with Russian culture or are you talking out of your ass ?

Eh, it is difficult to understand what exactly is your rebuttal in that meandering post. Yes, there are a number of Chinese and South Asians living in Canada that far outnumber those in the Russian Federation. This is a phenomenon known as ‘economic migration’. I’m sure CNBC or whatever you parrot must have mentioned it sometime.

I have also stayed in the freezing shithole that is Canda (Not out of choice) and have heard first hand accounts from Sikh youth at the kind of discrimination / racism / ignorance they have faced at various places including some very ugly hate crimes. I’m not even going to go into the complete mess that is Australia where hate crimes on South Asians and Ethiopians became a full blown diplomatic row.

As it stands there is simply no way to state conclusively whether Russia is more or less hostile towards foreigners in comparison to other nations. From personal experience the Russian people do not show any greater tendency to be more xenophobic.

On a different note it is quite quirky that Sikhs contribute less than 1% of South Asia’s population yet ~ 40% of the Diaspora present in Toronto / Vancouver.

That’s fabulous and the Americans horewhipped and raped the blacks before accepting them as American, the Australians murdered the Aborgines before sending them to the outback, the Belgians chopped Congolese limbs for failing to meet their daily quota etc etc…

Sikh hate crime? Sikhs are nearly a majority in many areas of BC, and I work with several. They’re fully accepted as Canadians. No issue at all. Now if you’re talking about the Sikhs that paraded portraits of the Air India bombers through the streets, yes they got in some trouble, despite crying out religious discrimination. But the terror supporting ones I’m sure are an extremely small minority. Anyway, I love doing business with Sikhs. Some of the best businessmen I’ve worked with, insane hustle. I think if you fail to see the difference between the Congo or Aborigines and modern day violence against Ukrainians and Chechens, this thread is a lost cause.

i hope you was kiddin’

^ Well other than the Chechens and Ukrainians. But there aren’t many black dudes or Indians chilling in Moscow, that was my point.

I lived with a Russian for about 5 years and have a fair amount of exposure to the culture through her, her family, and friends.

My sense is that Russians are ambivalent about Putin amongst themselves, but one thing they do like about him is that he insists that Russia not be pushed around by Western powers who act like they beat Russia in the Cold War (it’s true that the Soviet Union did not survive the Cold War, but Russians still bristle when the West does anything that implies that the West gets to lecture Russian on anything now, and the fact that when Russia did play by the West’s rules in the 1990s, the transition was horrific for average Russians.).

So you get Russians talking amongst themselves about Putin, and you’ll hear them grumble and be cynical. But if you put them in a room with a bunch of Westerners talking about Putin’s policies on free speech, homosexuality, and other stuff about how awful he is because he doesn’t believe in any values of The Enlightenment other than the scientific method, they will band together and defend him like he’s the second coming of Christ.

My gf came from a country that was once part of the soviet union and she hates putin - esp as of recently after one of their soldiers went nuts and he showed no remose. Having said that, she’ll defend the russians when america is brought into the picture. I remember discussing wwII and she had the opinion that americans did abs nothing and just took glory from the russian deaths. stockholm syndrom maybe, perhaps im biased, but moral of the story is best summarized from a churchill quote “history will be kind to me for i intend to write it”

please don’t compare Canada, the world’s leader in the fight for human rights, to russia, the world’s leader in the fight against human rights. the fact that you even infer that they are similar in anyway just makes me sad for your community.

Russia’s gay population would like a word you.

When did you guys earn this title? I’m pretty sure the Dutch would like a word with you.

there was a ceremony last week. stephen harper was crowned most peacekeepingest and humanoidest of all beings. he then gave an okay to bomb ISIS targets.

okay fine, Canada is one of the leaders in the fight for human rights. it is part of what we’re known for. peace, tolerance and maple syrup. and guys with missing teeth.