A piece I wrote on the increasing meaninglessness of equity markets...

Hey guys, I wrote the below article for LinkedIn the other day but I thought you guys would find it interesting as well. I’d love to hear your thoughts on my thesis – especially given that we’re supposed to uphold ‘market integrity’ as CFA Charterholders…

Version with proper formatting, pictures etc: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/markets-through-glass-darkly-babar-rafique-cfa

(The markets) through a glass, darkly.

As equity markets have become increasingly critical to the global financial and economic system, we’re actively subverting them into meaninglessness.

Equity markets are efficient, rational, and accurately reflect the value of assets, we’re told. Sure, there might be bouts of euphoria or panicked selling, but those are short-term anomalies in an otherwise rational system.

The simplicity of this idea is undeniably appealing – if we can trust in markets to broadly be an efficient allocator of value and accurately representative of short-term economic potential, then we can use it for a range of economic decision-making. An investor who wants exposure to a particular country can buy ETFs linked to that country’s stock market(s), for example, with the confidence that the investment outcome will bear a meaningful relationship with that of the economy invested in.

This requires, of course, that the price numbers on global stock indices mean something. The trouble is, to an increasing degree, they mean nothing at all. And we are busy creating more meaningless stock markets precisely because we need the ticker numbers to be more and more meaningful.

The equity market is a leading indicator for an economy, we’re told, and from TV talking-heads to academics to wealth managers, we all conduct ourselves as if that’s the case. A rising stock market thus means that confidence is improving and economic performance should shortly be rising as well. By that measure, the US economy should be doing fantastically well, matching or at least meaningfully correlated with the eye-popping performance of its major stock indices since 2008. Unfortunately, that’s just not the case – labour force participation remains appallingly low, wages remain depressed with lackluster wage growth, more and more wealth has become concentrated at the very top of the income scale, etc. In reality, while US markets have galloped ahead, the actual economy has been sleepwalking since the ‘Great Recession’.

This begs the question then – if US markets don’t meaningfully reflect the American economy, what do they reflect? To an increasing degree, they represent the fact and perception of central bank intervention into the markets. All major US indices share a meaningful correlation with the capital flows of the Fed’s successive QE programs, and speculation on the Fed’s future actions as communicated in various Fed meetings and press announcements move the markets in a big way. I’m certainly not saying that the Fed is all that matters for the US markets, but the market does listen to the Fed a lot more then it should and it sure seems like the Fed listens back. It’s worth noting here that the Fed’s dual mandate is to promote maximum employment and price stability, not manage market expectations – theoretically, they shouldn’t directly impact stock markets in the short term at all.

The story is much the same in the other major financial centres of the world, where the numbers on the big boards seem to be less and less meaningful as well. Broad European indices have been reaching for the heavens – after the ECB has reintroduced us to the pleasures of ZIRP and NIRP and launched a massive QE program of its own. Japanese intervention into their equity markets went even further, with the Bank of Japan directly buying ETFs to help keep the Nikkei going in the right direction.

The Chinese take the cake here though, with their level of intervention into their equity markets made abundantly transparent after the recent popping of the Shanghai SSE Composite Index bubble. After more conventional tools failed to stem the tide of panicked selling, the authorities deemed selling to be unpatriotic, halted trading in about half of the market, ordered companies to buy their own shares and generally made it clear that there was a preferred direction for the stock market to be moving in. Going against that direction would have you risk a lot more then what any definition of a halfway efficient market would suggest.

What has brought global equity markets to the point of becoming increasingly decoupled from their respective economies? I think it’s our need to have stock and stock index prices be meaningful that ultimately has driven the shift towards meaninglessness. From a top-down perspective, an example here is that politicians point to the stock market as proof of what a good job they’re doing in managing the economy and in some countries even derive their legitimacy from the continued performance of the local stock markets. Also, hundreds of millions of investors of all sizes have invested in stock markets through all sorts of financial instruments and stand to lose heavily in a market crash – that didn’t go over too well the last time around and we’re still struggling to recover.

From a bottom-up perspective, an example is company boards that partially link executive compensation to the performance of the company’s stock (which usually will have a positive correlation with the overall stock market). As a sidenote, Roger Martin, ex-Dean of Rotman School of Management (where I’m currently a student) has written extensively about this kind of executive compensation being problematic for the integrity of the markets as well – although he may not see it as a small symptom of a much larger threat to market integrity, as I do.

The stock market is just too important to leave to the vagaries of an actual market now. Too much depends on good-looking numbers now. It must be guided and controlled, or else the stilts on which our global financial system balances become shakier and more visible. The market must be rendered increasingly meaningless simply because it’s too meaningful to our current economic system.

“…made it clear that there was a preferred direction for the stock market to be moving in”.

That doesn’t really fit the data though. The Chinese government “allowed” the market to drift down to 8X and stay there for years, they also “allowed” it to go to 40X. Clearly they aren’t in control, the retail investors are. The recent action was only to stop dangerous panic selling (that can spiral out of control given the nature of the investor base), not to stop a normal decline. They have actually been quite consistent in their attempts to apply some downward pressure to the market all year.

But yeah, governments do impact markets, which is why as an investor you want to pick a market where the government is behind you.

Chinese basically shot themselves. they eased throughout 2014 and 2015 nonstop, imo, its cuz they expected foreign ivnestments. but when prices got too high and foreign investors said nah ty. it crashed. so now they instituted emergency measures (that i actually support since it is a crash). but when you apply emergency measures, you also setback your country in terms of level of trust/integrity. IMO, institutional ivnestors will stay away due to their fidicuiary duty and will prolly scale back their operations. bottom line. government intervention got them to this position in the first place. they shoulda juss sit back relaxed, and let isntitional money come in naturally as oppose to these market interventions that reduced their credibility and increased volatility.

They eased monetary policy in response to slower economic growth. The idea that they did that specifically to attract foreign investment seems like a bit of a stretch.

Sitting back and relaxing is exactly what they are doing. There’s basically zero foreign money in their equity market. The long term plan is to open up and attract foreign money yes, but nobody thinks that is going to happen overnight.

I don’t think you get it. Stock markets aren’t supposed to “mean” anything. It’s a place where you can invest in stakes of companies so that $1 today can be $1.x dollars tomorrow, reflecting the premium for investment (hopefully). Because money supply has increased, that premium has fallen which has been reflected in higher financial asset prices.

Also, you’re assuming that markets reflect current economic activity where in reality and by all theory they reflect expected economic activity. By most theoretical pricing models something like 90% of price comes from the perpetuity (typically beyond 5 year time frame) period of the valuation. So your point about the sluggish recovery showing equity market values have disconnected is flawed as well.

You’re ignoring the role of market forces such as liquidity, savings rates and monetary supply on market prices.

Stock markets are supposed to be a medium for value creation, just as you described. There is a difference between value creation and growth; an economy whose value is derived from creating shareholder value is clearly more meaningful than one than is valued on growth. If markets are increasingly valued on growth than it is possible the marketplace becomes less meaningful, especially if growth does not translate to value creation, as argued in this article

where’s your source for this? if you’re modeling a dcf and 90% of your value comes from terminal value, you have a highly sensitive model that is too reliant on a handful of assumptions. this samearticle argues 60-70% of value should come from the perpetuity assumption.

That wasn’t my point at all. I was arguing that from an investor standpoing it is a place to park money that you may not have a use for today for so that you can access it in a future date and the return realized is as much driven by supply and demand as it is by fundamentals. Always has been and always will be. I was arguing that taking an econ 101 approach of valueing assets on growth only makes sense if the premium associated with time hasn’t been compressed by supply increase. In otherwords, the markets aren’t less meaningful, but rather you’re taking a far too narrow interpretation of the meaning of market prices.

I was trying to recollect. Even if we assume 70% which I have seen elsewhere based on a google search, you’re talking about seriously low sensitivity to near term growth, so my point still stands. Even if you were to reduce near term growth expectations by 1/3 you’d still only be knocking 10% off of your total valuation. Whereas, lowering the risk premium (discount rate) to accommodate for a low and slow expectation will have major impacts on your valuation as would higher growth expectations over the longer term, both of which I believe these articles are overlooking.

The core of what I was trying to say in my post is that much more of valuatino comes from the risk premium or time premium which has been compressed as a product of supply. You guys are way to fixated on growth in the analysis rather than the overall discount rate.

To be clear, I’m not saying equity markets are a good place to be right now, I’m just saying that this idea of tying prices to contemporaneous growth is way off.

I don’t think I’m disagreeing with you. If current markets prices are inflated from an obscurely low discount rate, when in reality and by theory they should be priced from expected economic activity (that is value creation, not growth), wouldn’t that support OP’s conclusion and render prices meaningless?

(I pulled the paragraph in the second post beneath this out because it was long winded and theoretical and got in the way of my primary point.)

Ok, I think we’re on the same page but we have different conclusions.

Many people may see reduced risk over the long run which could lower the rate (I don’t). I also think that many people see low rates as being a long term phenomenon as the global economy works through its debt binge (I do) and this has a very significant impact on pricing. In this way, the discount rate itself often caries information about economic activity and expectations, so the information embeded in equity market prices is still very much there because lwo rates and monetary policy carry information in themselves.

On a more theoretical level:

What I’m saying is that the discount rate was never meant to be a static factor and carries its own information. It is variable and as a result, prices move with it. The idea that discount rates are not a key driver but that only economic activity should be a driver is in my mind far oversimplified. You could argue that prices reflect less information about economic activity, but I’m saying that that doesn’t mean prices carry less information. Which is why I said you’re defining the meaning carried by market prices far too narrowly. If you look at commodities, prices fluctuate all the time, and part of it has to do with current economic activity, part with odd disruptions, and part with future expectations (all demand factors) but a component also always has to do with supply of the commodity (in this case money in financial markets). So maybe I’m being pedantic, but I don’t think that the information from prices has decreased but just that the introduction of variability from the monetary supply shifts has made the analysis a little more complex. I think text books ignore the supply and demand factors within equity markets because it clouds the presentation of a traditional DCF analysis.

this is actually a fun exercise for DCF. imagine a 15x multiple assumption since its average. you make your investment in 15 years ceteris paribus. So 5 years of earnings / 15 years to make what is invested would be 33% of value. but you gotta discount that for short terms risks so its prolly less than that. i would say 80% give or take 10%.

also you got a point up top china was slowing down so they coulda eased for that reason too. my idea was a bit of a stretch haha, but it has merit and a lot of people are thinking it (OJ did do it). in any case, they ****ed up.

So much bullchit in almost every post…

Well, feel free to enlighten us sad

Since you’re the one who asked, I’ll take a shot.

Monetary supply is different from real supply. A discount rate can be discarded completely. I’ll expand on this later, right now I need to go.

Too busy to read the entire thread, but I’m not sure what a “meaningful stock market” means in your analysis, and how a “meaningless stock market” differs from that. I think you may be on to something, but since you haven’t clearly defined what a meaningful stock market would be, it’s hard to know if the rest of your analysis is meaningful.

I suspect what you’re saying is that there’s just lots of noise in the system, or that the stock market increasingly reflects hope and fear rather than rational analysis of the macro environment or company specifics. In that case, a meaningful stock market would be a discounting system for future expected cash flows that includes a plausible premium for risk, and you’re saying that it’s not that these days. If that’s the case, then the question is who is your audience and what are you trying to convince them that they don’t already know.

Although I have criticized your piece, I do like the attempt to tackle a topic that’s trickier than it looks.

You have a thesis, but need more proof, such as hard data, then just casual observations to prove your point.

This is going to be a hard sell.

It’s actually quite interesting. The value of an asset is the sum of all certain future real cash flows.

No discount rate was used.