Oil ETFs

anyone know of any crude ETFs that do not trade with derivatives? (ie, exposure is not created through futures?) Want to include a bit in my portfolio, but our compliance department doesn’t allow personal trading in derivatives (including ETFs like USO). I realize given the nature of crude oil and fixed delivery dates it’s nearly impossible, but thought I’d ask anyway…

you sure ETFs are not allowed?

That’s kind of weird. I have never heard of restrictions like this. Do people who draft this know what “derivatives” are?

Anyway, best way in that case, is probably to buy ETFs like XLE or XOP that hold energy stocks. The correlation with oil should be very high.

Yeah, why would compliance care? As long as you’re not actively managing the positions inside the ETF who cares what they are? I’ve never had that restriction.

LGCY and BAS

My thoughts exactly, but compliance is an area that errs the side of caution :stuck_out_tongue:

Greeman72, I considered looking for pureplay junior producers with no debt to get somewhat similar exposure, but to no avail, plus liquidity sucks.

^Well, in just a couple of months, BAS will have no debt (if I understand their bankruptcy correctly).

^ The existing equity holders will also have worthless equity.

While the entry point has passed, you want a beta play? CWEI. In March, near bankrupt oil company controlled by a guy who ran for Texas governor and failed magnificantly. But CWEI is a 10 bagger this year if you got in at the March low. Of course I didn’t but it’s good for kicking yourself in the ass and looking at the stock chart.