sbux is doomed

I shorted it near the peak and covered for chump change! DOH. Now they’re doing a TV ad campaign to reach out to those who haven’t tried SBUX? Who the F’ hasn’t tried SBUX?

I haven’t. think i bought a bottle of water there once, though…

Would be a great takeover if it keeps going lower to say $10-$12???

Yeah, you brought this up a few months ago (and 20% ago) http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,578085,page=1 CFA_Halifax - Why would it be a great takeover at $10-12? I’m too lazy to look at financials, but is there something of value there beyond goodwill (like do they own real estate)? I wouldn’t touch that company at nearly any price because ultimately coffee is just a commodity and fashionable coffee doesn’t last forever.

The only SBUX I drink is the free stuff in the machine at work

I think Starbucks will be fine. they supply less than 2% of the world’s coffee consuptions, so there is still a lot of money to be made with the right strategy. Also, even tho coffee is a commodity, the company’s main competition was never other coffee vendors, but fast food chains like McDonalds. I imagine that is why sbux serves breakfast sandwiches now and McDonald’s is advertising premium coffees.

With management still in denial that they have reached saturation in the US you can rest assured that this stock will continue getting “re-rated” by the market. At the end of the day they are nothing more than your average struggling retailer fighting for share of wallet.

I probably drink sbux twice a day… The people in my officde are psycho about SBUX coffees.

If I drink a sbux coffee and fart, I find my fart tends to smell like sbux. If I drink a cup of white tea, I feel enlightened, sexy and I have no gas whatsoever. Wait until the masses catch on to that wisdom. (I hope this doesn’t get me banned… I’m running out of iP#s and clever monikers)

anyone ever tried caribou coffee? way better imo. i know the average person in my offices prob spends $3-5 a day no matter what. i think the market’s there and coffee drinking isn’t just “fashionable,” its just a matter of sbux being able to attract/retain customers.

The masses have caught onto standing away from you while you’re drinking SBUx coffee on the subway.

wonggei79 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think Starbucks will be fine. they supply less > than 2% of the world’s coffee consuptions, so > there is still a lot of money to be made with the > right strategy. > > Also, even tho coffee is a commodity, the > company’s main competition was never other coffee > vendors, but fast food chains like McDonalds. I > imagine that is why sbux serves breakfast > sandwiches now and McDonald’s is advertising > premium coffees. The McD’s comparison for SBUX doesn’t work for me. McD’s sells lousy food of known quality for cheap prices. People go there because they know exactly what they will be getting (arterial plaque), how much they will pay for it, and that it will satisfy fat cravings and keep them full. SBUX sells burned up coffee by telling people over-roasted beans are higher quality and that if they pay $5 for a coffee, it must be good coffee. Both are really stupid.

I do like CBOU better, but the company sucks.

McD’s coffee is very good. I don’t touch the food but will stop by just for the coffee. Takes a hell of a lot less time than SBUX.

CROX was a better short…which will be buying christmas gifts this year for me. Now I am long a few at 36 hoping to sell at 42 today. It could happen w/ options exp today.

i had caribou coffee one time, and i almost exploded. can’t say i’m a fan of caribou coffee.

Hi Joey, SBUX’s main competition definitely isn’t other coffee shops, or folgers, or columbia. They have a niche in the coffee marke for people who wanted gourmet. I would guess ( I am making a generalization here) that the people who are willing to pay a couple bucks more for a cup joe would be more inclined to eat the food offerings at SBUX than a greasy burger- and this is the crowd sbux caters to. 10 years ago, you could only get fast food at places like burger king, wendy’s and Mcdonalds. Now with more companies like SBUX in the loop, you can now get a meal that is a little higher in quality just as quick, for just a little more money. In some areas, I’ve seen starbucks with drive thru windows even! Also, Joey, I live in NY and there is a starbucks on every block here- and they are ALL packed all day long. Reality it seems is always a little skewed here so take myopinions with a grain of salt.

x

x

wonggei79 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hi Joey, > > SBUX’s main competition definitely isn’t other > coffee shops, or folgers, or columbia. They have > a niche in the coffee marke for people who wanted > gourmet. I would guess ( I am making a > generalization here) that the people who are > willing to pay a couple bucks more for a cup joe > would be more inclined to eat the food offerings > at SBUX than a greasy burger- and this is the > crowd sbux caters to. > > 10 years ago, you could only get fast food at > places like burger king, wendy’s and Mcdonalds. > Now with more companies like SBUX in the loop, you > can now get a meal that is a little higher in > quality just as quick, for just a little more > money. In some areas, I’ve seen starbucks with > drive thru windows even! > > Also, Joey, I live in NY and there is a starbucks > on every block here- and they are ALL packed all > day long. Reality it seems is always a little > skewed here so take myopinions with a grain of > salt. I know - there is no limit to the number of people who will pay extra money to buy a cup of coffee made with cheap beans roasted to death. The food at SBUX sucks too and there isn’t much of a selection and it’s unknown what’s available. I’ll sort of let the people who can’t distinguish a good cup of coffee from a lousy one, who also can’t distinguish a good company from a lousy one, buy and sell this. It’s in their universe which I would prefer to stay out of.