"Realtor and Stanford MBA"

Is that second part really necessary?

http://www.joshhohman.com/

I’m generally anti-snobbery, but that said, if you went to Stanford GSB and you are a realtor, at what point do you feel its better to leave off the part about the MBA because you’re underperforming your peer group?

By “peer group”, you mean Stanford MBA graduates, not realtors, right? Regardless of yuor job, it’s sort of weird to introduce yourself as “so-and-so, Stanford MBA”.

You get a pass if your an RE agent.

Yeah, that’s a good point.

I’m really hoping he didn’t do his MBA at Stanford with the goal of becoming a real estate agent…

Most Realtors put their picture on their business cards, so not really all that surprising.

Yes that’s what I mean, ohai. There’s nothing wrong with being a realtor – skilled realtors who cultivate good books of business can make a great living. I do think it’s pretty weird to represent yourself as a Stanford MBA realtor, though. While the mention of the Stanford MBA qualification is supposed to inspire confidence, I think it actually does the opposite – it makes me wonder why he is “merely” a realtor instead of running some company or whatever. It makes him seem like kind of a failure relative to collective expectations for Stanford MBAs.

I agree, it’s always weird to just name drop credentials in pretty much any circumstance one can imagine.

That’s true. I think I got that feeling also, although I didn’t immediately put my finger on it.

You mad brah? Why is everyone on this forum so irate about what other people are doing. Worry about yourself. And if that guy is a realtor in the Bay, that is a great selling point. Stanford is a big deal out here and a lot of alumni would go with him because of that.

I am a Stanford alumnus. I would not use this basis to choose a realtor. In fact, as bromion says, the sketchiness makes me not want to use this guy. Although for me, the self promotion is the part that turns me away, not the perception that he should have another job.

Look, this guy is trying to make money – he’s not bragging about having an MBA. You may be turned off by it, but net-net I’m sure it’s a plus as I’m sure he’s one of the few agents that have a prestigous MBA, let alone a college degree. Believe me, a realtor would put “I have a small penis” on this his business card if he thought it would bring in more clients.

Look at that, I stand corrected:

Kelly K says that Josh is wicked smart with the numbers.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/josh-hohman-realtor-walnut-creek

lol@ LBriscoe… small weener comment

i’m sure there are a lot of underperforming stanford mbas

You might be surprised about the career choices some people take after attending a top business school. Personally I believe it is because for most of your two years over there you have very successful people coming–at times on a weekly basis–as speakers who have put their reputation/careers on the line repeatedly by raking risky, and sometimes unconventional decisions. While there’s obviously a significant survivor bias, you tend to listen carefully when lots of Fortune 100 C-level people from many industries have a common underlying message: have balls to do things differently.

For example, a former classmate and friend took a job as the secretary of a billionaire CEO who also attended the same program a couple of decades ago. He says bringing his boss’ coffee and printing his morning reports at 5am was the best learning experience, and eventually led him to a monster gig. So you never know if this RE dude is trying to build something big. At least he heard how to do it many times during school. That said, it’s sooo douchey to use your school’s name like that.

As a Stanford guy, he should know better than to call it “Follow-Thru.”

I completely buy this. The guy I work for is a monster with connections all over the hedge fund world. I’ve never been a secretary for him, but there are worse jobs. There is a guy my age who has had that role – sort of a personal assistant – for the last four years. Guy has no college degree, no connections, etc. but is probably going to end up better than your average Stanford MBA. He just got promoted to running the firm’s growing real estate portfolio and could probably leverage that experience into any number of other roles in the future.