Priscilla Chan's Wedding is Bad News for Every Chinese Girl

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wendy's picture
FrankArabia's picture

whats the big deal? ……

itera's picture

There is an upside though.  Since she’s not very physically attractive, it’s gives girls who are similar hope that there are people who care more about just then a pretty face and body.

Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and greatest weakness.

ohai's picture

The article seemed mostly positive to me. The “bad” effects seem to be:

1) Chinese mom’s will unfavorably compare their kids to Priscilla (ok, fair enough)

2) Priscilla perpetuates the model minority “myth” (but it’s not a myth!)

“Be aware of this 40 year old men in our country.They suffer from mid life crisis and are always trying to be in the good books of young girls.” -Rahul Roy

sherbeer's picture

the fridge looks like my fridge with Dutch and French cheese and oyster sauce.

The Righteous Hacksaw's picture

This is much worse news for white chicks.

It turns out that there is an Asian chick for every socially inept but otherwise successful white guy. 

No Homo

FrankArabia's picture

inept white guys is what asian women normally date……….even if mark was not successful, he problably still end up with her…..cool white guys date girls like Paris hilton etc…..

bromion's picture

iteracom wrote:

There is an upside though.  Since she’s not very physically attractive, it’s gives girls who are similar hope that there are people who care more about just then a pretty face and body.

Woah, woah, woah, let’s not go global with this thing, alright?

“I lost my wife to a margin call. Wives get mad when you come home and say, ‘Sweetheart, I lost the house today.’” - Dennis Gartman on trading mistakes

CFABLACKBELT's picture

ChickenTikka wrote:

It turns out that there is an Asian chick for every socially inept but otherwise successful white guy. 

Haha.  So true.  

White chicks brought it on themselves though I find they tend not to be as smart, less open to new things (food, traveling, etc…), have higher (unjustified I might add) expectations, and often become overweight…

bromion's picture

CFABLACKBELT wrote:

ChickenTikka wrote:

Haha.  So true.  

White chicks brought it on themselves though I find they tend not to be as smart, less open to new things (food, traveling, etc…), have higher (unjustified I might add) expectations, and often become overweight…

Second all of the above.

“I lost my wife to a margin call. Wives get mad when you come home and say, ‘Sweetheart, I lost the house today.’” - Dennis Gartman on trading mistakes

ohai's picture

But, this judgment assumes that career success makes up for social ineptitude. Maybe white chicks prefer charismatic men, even if these men are, on average, less successful than awkward nerds. 

“Be aware of this 40 year old men in our country.They suffer from mid life crisis and are always trying to be in the good books of young girls.” -Rahul Roy

MCalamari's picture

I guess Jewish fraternities are going to get a suddenly popularity surge by Asian girls?

FrankArabia's picture

white girls want black guys……ask CFA he’ll tell ya…..

ohai's picture

If we are to believe transferpricing’s stories, white girls evidently prefer sketchy confused Europeans. 

FrankArabia's picture

i thought European dudes were suppose to be ladies men……

itera's picture

bromion wrote:

CFABLACKBELT wrote:

ChickenTikka wrote:

Haha.  So true.  

Second all of the above.

Interestingly, this applies to the average American as well..

Tend to be not as smart, higher expectations of what the govt should do for them, and often overweight…not to mention lazy, doesn’t know about anything that’s happening in the world, and actually idolize losers…

On second thought..

Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and greatest weakness.

The Righteous Hacksaw's picture

Sincerely, If I could hug you all right now I would.  Never in my life have I ever agreed with so completely, nor with such tenacity, a group of people.  You blessed few have given me a reason to keep living.

For years, I blamed myself when I thought American chicks were masculine, entitled, and zoftig.  Surely, there must be something wrong with me, for thinking this way about American women to whom my liberal arts education taught me to cherish unequivocably even when they could suffocate me with their BMI or convenient brand of HBO Girls feminism?  I thought that clearly, I am a defect, an abomination, something to be ashamed of.  Their rolls, oh I mean curves, are the epitome of desirability, surely? It is so heartening to know that I am no longer alone.

Well, my friends, and I do mean that with the truest brotherly meaning, I can tell you this much!

IT DOES GET BETTER.   You buy a ticket, you get on an airplane, and you go to a country where women actually act and look like women and have less than 30 percent body fat.  Don’t give up, IT DOES GET BETTER!

No Homo

FrankArabia's picture

wtf you doing in India of all places than?….sounds like you’re just trying to go for women in financial distress….

bodhisattva's picture

Confirms my prejudice that asian immigrants make for shitty status obsessed parents who push their kids into becoming socially akward and emotionally/psychologically devastated over-achievers.

ohai's picture

Why must over achievers be awkward, and emotionally and psychologically flawed? I consider most smart and hardworking people I know to be pretty well adjusted.

bodhisattva's picture

ohai wrote:

Why must over achievers be awkward, and emotionally and psychologically flawed? I consider most smart and hardworking people I know to be pretty well adjusted.

It’s just a generalisation based on anecdotes, but Ive known and grown up with alot of people who grew up in traditional asian tiger families and were either emotionally scared as a result or otherwise materially successful yet immensely unhappy.  I think what the writer was alluding to was the discomfort, anxiety and stress that such an upbringing can cause.  I’ve witnessed friends develop all sorts of issues and with asian families that type of dysfunction especially the extreme manifestations of it (ie. eating/mood disorders, crippling anxiety, codepedancy, process and substance addictions etc) is never admitted or properly treated so it just festers.

Maybe it’s because I used to work in the mental health field so that I am more attenuated to it, but I can pick up on people’s emotions and behaviours better than most people. Either way I’ve known alot of outwardly successful people who were absolutely miserable. While they appeared well adjusted, that outward presentation doesn’t match the inside. Alot of people are driven to succeed because they are seeking a sort of validation and they have an expectation that the outward signs of success and the pleasure associated with that will fill some internal void/unhappiness.  I can see some signs of that on this board…

ohai's picture

The counterargument, of course, is that unsuccessful people also suffer from anxiety, eating disorders, alcoholism and drug abuse. Surely, some successful people exhibit signs of psychological trauma. However, I would find it difficult to believe that these disorders (for instance, drug abuse) are more common among highly educated, high achieving people than in the population on average. 

FrankArabia's picture

completely stupid argument……

ohai's picture

Which argument? The one about successful people being traumatized or well adjusted? 

FrankArabia's picture

people are messed up period. white asian black……racial stereotypes serve no real purpose aside from helping someone identify potential criminals…..

sherbeer's picture

well than I must be the black sheep of my Asian tiger family. because I am not an ambitious overachiever. I have no eating or any mental disorder. unless pursuing CFA charter is is one.

sherbeer's picture

added to that. i am a tiger mom. my kid is not even two years old and can count till 10 and can almost read the whole alphabet.

FrankArabia's picture

the worst part about asian stereotypes is that asians believe in them too lol……

itera's picture

Well the tiger mom doesn’t have to be an overachiever herself.  Coaches don’t have to be all stars right?

ohai's picture

But stereotypes can be true statistically. On average, Asian students get better grades than students of other races. Asian people also, on average, make more money in the US than people of other races. While individual members of the population might defy these statistics, there is a difference when looking at the population as a whole. 

Black Swan's picture

FrankArabia wrote:

the worst part about asian stereotypes is that asians believe in them too lol……

Agreed, I have a Chinese friend and every time we go into Chinatown for food, he starts ranting about Asian drivers, lol.

redacted

Pages

Subscribe toComments for "Priscilla Chan's Wedding is Bad News for Every Chin...