Why do people celebrate mediocrity?

I was skimming along facebook and see this guy smiling as he was holding up his MBA degree he just got from a really sh*tty school. Rank 89 out of USNews business school rankings. And to throw more poo on it, it took him 5 years to get. So apparently it was a part-time MBA.

Seriously, why? I don’t get it. I would be embarrased.

And no, this guy isn’t poor or from some ghetto minority. Relatively slightly upper middle class, decent schooling person.

Why do people do this?

Who cares? Worry about your own career.

When I read stuff like this it makes me sick but I have to laugh because I know it is spawned from ignorance. Education is one of the most important skills someone can acquire. Whether you acquire an associates degree from your community college or a PhD from Harvard it is an accomplishent. It shows you set long terms goals and achieve them. It is good for the economy and it is helps everyone.

Not every one like most BOMS think they are going to pass the CFA exam and manage the Magellan Fund. That is comical.

I’m with ya man. It’s like when my niggas get out of jail feeling like its such an accomplishment. It wasn’t even max security lock down. Just some shoddy mediocre halfway house.

Totally agree. No profile can reflect under what circumstances and /or situations one has been able to do whatever he/she has done specially educational or career achievments. All are neither academically gifted nor every one can ‘easily’ afford to spend funds to get education without making real effort to do so (whether from a ghetto or not and even if is a so called middle class person) , therefore, what may seem to be just a pass or degree to some one may be a real ‘success’ for some one else. In many cases one may be the first generation post-graduate in the family (it is equally true whether in US or India or Kenya irrespective of the development al status of the country!) so we can (or should) never undermine or underestimate one’s achievment however small or nominal it may seem to us by our own standards. That would be sheer hypocracy, of which indeed one should be ‘embarrassed’ not the person who feels he achieved something doing MBA or for that matter even a diploma.

yeah…a small step for you may be a leap for someone else…mediocrity is a relative term

None of you know this person like I do, as it is quite obvious from the responses. And for your info, it is a very expensive school, and I’ll repeat again, the guy isn’t from some poor background.

Imagine passing all 3 levels of the CFA, and then going back to community college and celebrating passing a course calling Introduction to capital markets.

Is that a better context?

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings/page+4# Fordham is one of the schools listed as #89 on this list.

A handful of the top 100 schools aren’t that bad. I don’t think mediocrity is the right word to describe a top 100 MBA grad. Those schools do OK in local hiring markets.

I think I undestand what you’re coming from. This person could be wasting his potential and celebrating it. It would be optimal for her/him, career-wise, to try and get the best possible school.

However, with the knowledge we have here, I still don’t see much of an issue. Any improvement is better than no improvement. Some people choose schools because of location/social environment/weather, or whatever makes them happy. Maybe thy simply have other priorities in life that will be properly filled by choosing different paths.

Or maybe that person simply lacks the academic credentials to enter HBS or whatever. Yet, the MBA certainly took time and effort, and he or she is proud of finishing that. Notice that person is not celebrating acceptance to the MBA, but finishing the program - maybe it is a very challenging program.

I think you may have missed us on the choice of words. “Celebrating” means they’re happy, and so we should be happy too - it’s not like said person is hurting someone. “Bragging” about mediocrity would be annoying, and bragging about great accomplishments (whatever they are) is annoying as well. Sometimes celebrating and bragging are almost indistinguishable, and different people will have different views on it.

I think you should man up, stop crying about it on AF, and cut him down on fbook. A true friend stabs you in the front.

People gotta celebrate something now and then. What sweat is it off your brow if it’s something silly?

Maybe he’s just happy that he has more free time to apply to other stuff?

Not everyone can be above average, and it seems both useless and heartless to say that those people never deserve to be happy for an accomplishement ever in their lives.

Personally, if someone is celebrating something, I don’t even care what it is (as long as it isn’t cruel or dehumanizing): I just want to know where the party’s going to be.

Fed time is easier bro…you don’t want to be doing time with rats, goofs and skinpooches.

on another note, i bet iteracom has no self esteem, is depressed and hates himself. When you seem someone judging others like that usually means the person isn’t very happy about themselves. Plus read the guys sig, if I felt like that I’d be jumping off a bridge.

Iteracom, it’s okay buddy, im here for you.

lol this is all more hilarous. Can’t say I’m surprised given how parents today have convinced their kids it’s all ok. It’s ok to be overweight… it’s ok to be average… just be happy. Let’s celebrate 6th place, or in this case rank 98.

The result is massive obesity (including children), massive surge in people going into debt to get useless degrees, frequent job openings but lack of skilled labor to fill them.

I’m not going to bother listing my credentials. If I do, I’m elitist. If I don’t, I’m “sad and depressed”. haha

Seriously, keep shooting for the bottom of the barrel, less competition for me.

^LMAO

You are a joke. Post where you went to school, your degree and major, and what you have done for work at the age of 25.

You are a crying baby. Your last thread was about how you couldn’t succeed on a free dating website and how you were “depressed.”

Come on , man. I don’t think you can really compare the overall laziness of the world with a random dude finishing some MBA. There are almost certainly people who would look at you in the same way you looked at the person in question. We should strive to be our best. Maybe 98th is his/her best. Maybe it isn’t. Maybe whatever you’ve done isn’t your best either. It’s really subjective to decide how much work/study is too much, but everybody has a point (you gotta sleep sometime).

The most frequent view on this forum is that all MBAs are easier than the CFA anyway so, if you agree with that, they all kinda “suck” in a way. The best MBAs are very good to get the best jobs, but going by this criteria we should be most proud of having very rich parents and very strong connections.

CFA is viewed as easier than actuarial exams, and as worse for getting jobs than top MBAs. Maybe we shouldn’t celebrate it, but I think most of us (maybe even yourself) got pretty happy or at least relieved on passing the exams.

What I think is that on a personal level I should strive to be the best I can be. I study hard, work hard, exercise hard, and try my best to help the society and people around me. You seem to do the same, and yet we still fail a lot, like wasting time on frivolous things in the forums. On a personal level, we shouldn’t even waste time caring about some random person’s accomplishments.

On a general level, I think we should let people live heir lives any way they want. It’s not like this person is a crack addict and you should interfer. In my opinion the best approach is to have high standards for ourselves, and let other people live their lives.

Also, if you come to think about it, if everybody worked realy hard all the time maybe you wouldn’t have the job you have and there will be like 300 thousand charterholders.

I’m just rambling now, but I’m sure you can see where I’m coming from.

It’s all relative. I have a friend who is an actuary (that is also a CFA charterholder) and he laughs when he sees people celebrating when they pass the CFA exams. He doesn’t understand how anyone can find the exams challenging.

I don’t buy the argument that, in order to be permitted celebrate, you need to be perfect. Yes, there is an issue with everyoe getting trophies just for showing up, while true achievers get ignored, but the HBS graduate is still going to get thebetter job than this guy, so let him enjoy a few minutes when he can just feel that a few small opportunities have opened for him, even If its just that he has some more free time now.

Someone who’s been unemployed finally gets a job at Starbucks and can make the rent. He’s happy. An you’re goingto tell him that he and his friends shouldn’t celebrate a small victory because only people who get jobs at Goldman Sachs “deserve” to celebrate?

bchad, crazyman, you guys make a good argument. I still have to say this guy isn’t some humble guy. He’s the ostentatious type. If this was some poor kid who never got a chance in life, I wouldn’t even bring this up.

formertrader, also a good point.

blake mctroll, as usual, I never gave a damn what your opinion is. I’m confident you’ll follow your typical pattern of behavior and simply attempt to discredit any evidence that contradicts your troll-ness, so I’m not even going to bother.

blake mctroll…haha i like that

I do think that people in the US put too much emphasis on telling their kids that “everyone is special”. If everyone believes that they can be an astronaut, then they will probably become disappointed at some point. Plus, people develop a sense of societal entitlement - they blame society for their unemployment after spending $150,000 getting an anthropology degree, etc.

Of course, this does not mean that it is wrong to celebrate self improvement. Even if you’re not in the 99th percentile, if you managed to become better than the previous you, that’s still a good thing. I’m sure the MBA graduate in the original post is proud of his achievement, so there’s nothing wrong with being happy about it.