"North Korea's key to Olympic medals: Labor camps for losers"

http://www.wlsam.com/Article.asp?id=2506192&spid=

“But others, including former North Korean athletes who have defected, suggest the success of the country’s small contingent of athletes at the games may be the result of a policy of training them from a very young age at specialized schools, backed up by rewards like cars and refrigerators for winners and the threat of labor camps for losers.”

Comments by North Korean medalists:

“I won first place because the shining Supreme Commander Kim Jong Un gave me power and courage,”

“I cannot be any happier than right now for I can give my gold medal to our great leader, Kim Jong Un.”

Those North Koreans sure know how to motivate people…

This country both scares and saddens the hell out of me. Has anyone read Nothing to Envy? I’ve been meaning to pick it up since it came out, but I’ve probably got a dozen other books that I already own and want to get through.

There’s a time-lapse video of a N Korean city floating around that’s pretty interesting…posted on Reddit a while ago. Basically over the course of a day the only people on the streets were sanitation workers. Dudes with brooms sweeping up dust. Otherwise the city was just dead. Very creepy.

I just got an electronic version of Nothing to Envy based on your recommendation. Send me an e-mail to numi.advisory@gmail.com if you want it.

There a big market for advisory service in antarctica?

He got a frosty reception at first, but now he’s snowed in with requests.

Numi - I caved and bought it earlier today when I found a used hardback at half.com for like $6. Thank you anyway for the offer - lemme know what you think, as you’ll probably read it first!

I know NK has some problems being poor and sucking, but even when China was poor and sucking the streets were busy (cultural revolutionists, ip man, former child emperors now gardening, flash mobs, etc).

Maybe they were all watching a “Keeping up with the Kardashians” marathon.