1 year no TV

…staring 9/10. What to do?

I haven’t had cable tv in like three years, but I still own a tv that’s hooked up to my computer so I can watch pretty much everything I used to.

is this no TV initiative by choice? or neccessity? I don’t follow. Either way, not that big of a deal. The Olympics are over, anyways.

take spelling lessons with your new amount of free time :stuck_out_tongue:

No TV today is not the same thing as no TV 10 years ago. If you’re still using the net, it’s not that big of a deal.

That said, I wouldn’t be able to do it.

Yeah, I don’t watch TV, but that’s just because I prefer the net. tV is far too slow and passive. A year without the net? That would be tough.

For me it’s that if I have a tv that can get all the channels, then there’s a good chance I might spend my Sunday watching some shitty reality tv show that I really don’t care about (I wasn’t surprised when that cokehead from the real world just died). This way I have to go out of my way to watch stuff, which means I cut out the crappy stuff.

A year without the net – brutal.

No TV:

• Get in shape

• Excel at work

• Bang chicks

• Piss your wife off (if married) – bonus points if you come here afterward and tell us about it

I think we have every station you can get and I do all of the above sans piss off wife because I’m single.

I assume you’ll end up doing what people did before TV - read books.

Haven’t had cable in three years. Don’t miss it, although I will watch a few shows on Hulu. I’m a big LSU football fan, so for games I’ll go to a bar which is nice because it keeps you going out instead of sitting in at home. It’s nice, because I can still Hulu a show if I’m getting ready for bed and have 20 minutes, but for the most part during my day I stay outside and do things like outdoor sports. Find out if there’s a rock climbing gym near you, that’s a great activity to get into during the week days. Maybe learn an instrument or if you’re into something like art or restaurants or music or whatever, make an effort to go out and explore some of those things during the week. In other words, take the new time to go make yourself a more interesting person (not saying you’re not already) now that you’re free of the tv.

^This. Rarely watch TV, have Sony Flat HDTV hooked up via HDTV for everything.

If he’s replacing his TV time with internet time, he wouldn’t have much more time to do any of these things.

^ Yeah I mean, I don’t think it works out to be a 1 for 1 replacement. The way I reason it is this. Yes, I still watch the occasional TV show on Hulu so it’s not like I have no TV whatsoever. But, I’m much less likely to just sit down and zone out or get distracted for an hour or two than I would if I had TV. Before bed I’ll purposely hit up my favorite show or whatever on Hulu, but I don’t find myself watching shows “just because it was on”. And with TV time relegated to 20 minutes or whatever at the end of the night it doesn’t distract me from going out and doing cool things during the evening or afternoon. So for me, I’m not as strict as I used to be, but back in the day when I first switched I definitely freed up like 5-10 hours a week by not watching any TV whatsoever.

I always wondered whether it would be possible to cut out the internet for a year. I then came across this article about a guy who has taken up the challenge:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/13/3231386/offline-hows-it-going-paul-miller

still figuring out my plan. not sure if it will be a strict “no TV whatsoever” deal or something a little looser. May also throw in no FB or AF (i know you all will be so sad). my goal is basically to make sure that my evenings will be spent doing something productive instead of parked on the couch. I’m tied down w/ wife & kids and after getting the kids to bed there isn’t much energy left for anything other than rocking Mrs. Fergeson’s world.

First priority will be to get back in shape – which ironically will require TV to play the P90X videos for at least a little while. Learning an instrument may also be a fun use of time. and of course I’ll do a bunch of reading.

Ebay, online bills, banking, registering for CFA. I can’t believe cutting it for a year. This is thousands of times more extreme than cutting cable.

I haven’t really watched television in 3 or 4 years. I watch documentaries on Netflix, Ted.com talks, and video lectures from sources like MIT. Not all the time, but when I want some visual stimulation.

I’m sure those that claim they haven’t watched tv for years are not sports fans. Sports is one of the only events left where watching it live is a must.

I’ve got ya all beat…I’m on year 12. :slight_smile: There’s just too much interesting stuff to do in life.