Do you have a mentor?

How long have you had your mentor - have they helped you in the industry?

3 years, yes, even though we dont work together i will always look up to him. He unlocked my potential

I have several people that I consider mentors. They have helped me considerably in different points of my career. I trust their time-tested wisdom and ability to see things objectively for me. I believe a good mentor is absolutely critical especially in a knowledge-based industry such as finance.

“I believe everyone should both have a mentor and be a mentor at some point in their life.”

Wall Street II – The Search for Curly’s Gold

Having a mentor helps. I’ve had several. My best was one at Johnson & Johnson when I worked there. Different building and department. It takes effort to build the relationship, you have to take the initiative to build things so that you have a solid friendship going. I met roughly once a week, for about an hour or more and talked about markets, investing theory, views on risk and the world, etc. It helps in getting someone to represent you around the firm as well as for placement, recs, etc.

We had a short discussion on mentors a little while ago. Bchad had some good points, as usual

So random, but made me laughh out loud. I wish I had a mentor. Definitely worthwhile if you can find a good one.

A mentor gave my career a drastic boost and I couldnt not recommend them highly enough. My career was stagnating and I was bored! He gave me pointers on what needs to be done to get me out teh hoel I was in - it worked and I was promoted a year later.

The issue is where do you get a good mentor from? Lukily I was assigned one via a work program. If you dont have this option, then Wiseround.com have started up and they have banking professionals signed up to give mentroing advice.

7th post, bumps a two year old thread.

This is what happens when moderators refuse to moderate. The Water Cooler is an absolute mess. And now the trolls and advertisers are drifting into careers and investments.

Geo for president! Also, QFT

What do you recommend as the appropriate response to a 2 year old thread bump? Ban the poster? Delete the thread?

Why not find something useful to post about instead? The problem with the water cooler is less excess of junk than it is absence of useful stuff.

On the plus side, all this crap has made members migrate to the Investments forum, where there actually is more investment related activity. Since that’s closer to AF’s genuine mission, I don’t mind.

PS: on a completely separate note, Geo, i’m enjoying my new razors immensely, though am trying to figure out what the best combination of razor and blade is.

^ Ban the poster. He has posted his spam all over the forum. Further there are 8 threads in the first page of the Water Cooler with titles mocking the Ban Watch thread. No value at all. Add in some RR threads and it is heavily polluted. I understand the desire of the owners to maximise pageviews and post counts to drive value. But before your eyes your seeing this degenerate quite quickly. Eventually advertisers won’t want to pay the same amounts per pageview when its just mindless nonsense and drivel. The Water Cooler often had several ongoing active threads that were lighthearted but still intelligent. Now its Bag Watch, Bay Watch, Ben Watch, Bag Watch II. What a mess. No one posts any good material because it gets railroaded by the Indian contingent into some discussion about RR’s sexuality or his mother. And the best combo of razor and blade is a Merkur 33C Classic razor with a Feather blade. That’s how I roll. Thinking of trying the straight razor next though. Or maybe one of the Feather Artist Club.

My only criticism is that no one has discussed Bran Watch or Bob Benmosche, as the first topic relates to important “regularity” and Benmosche is an important financial services executive.

Can’t blame bchad or other moderators for the lack of interesting threads in WC, but I would like to see all the mocking “ban” threads deleted.

Hmmmmmmmm…

I did have a phenomenal mentor at my last job who was a regular oracle when it came to macroeconomic developments. Also a real character and a great friend. He passed away, but when situations like this potential housing bubble in China pop up, I still find myself thinking I’d give my left nut to duck into his office and shoot the sh*t with him for an hour.