difficult boss

How do you handle a boss, who doesnt really care what I am upto? I am fundamentally a guy who likes to take responsibility and finish off a job to the best of my capability, however small/difficult the job is! Ive been rewarded suitably everywhere Ive worked because of this attitude. But in this organisation, this fellow keeps piling on me and I never get what I really deserve including my team mates. I am trying to show no interest in the work he gives me, but the fellow is not bothered and doesnt take any steps to have a backup plan for me. My clients in UK (Scotland and London) are happy with me and change the plan based on my availability because they are not confident about getting it done by my Boss. I arbitrarily tell them I am on leave for 3 days, they change the delivery date to the week after that and so this means my boss is literally unaffected :slight_smile: Wish I could resign and move on, but job market is bad and I want to complete my CFA L3 at this job. The good thing about my clients is that they are quite appreciative of my working/learning. And Ive never had problems on getting my leaves approved by them even if my boss disagrees :slight_smile: Now obviously I dont want to play around with such good clients I have got, so end up doing all the work… I get a big email at the end of the year from my client project manager on what all Ive done. But then its all unnoticed here by my boss and it doesnt translate to any gains for me :frowning: Your thoughts on how to handle this would be really helpful :slight_smile: I understand there might not be a solution to this, but looking at the ways AF-ers would handle such a scenario!

What do you mean that you never get what you “really deserve”? What specifically do you deserve that you are not getting?

I think he wants some attention and recogniton. I’ll be the first to say it… " Attaboi"

I prefer bosses that get out of my way and let me do my work. If you feel like you need performance evaluation, then ask for it.

Did anyone of you have crush on your boss?

Not if they look anything like you

Do you know how I look like or you are reffereing to my avatar?

I’m with stormy. Give me a mandate and let me do the rest. The only time I want to see my boss is for my bonus and a new cell phone.

Of course, the two that I answer to are pretty legit. We drink beers and stuff.

Some bosses like it when you are rough with them. They are so used to people kissing their a$$, that they appreciate a frank, hard a$$ around them. Tell him straight up what your issues are.

i agree with this but there is a fine line to “finding out” if this is the case

So let me get this straight - chibwack wants a man-date from his boss, and former trader wants to play rought with his boss and be a total hard-ass, and smuggycfa has a crush on his boss.

Maybe “boss” is slang for your girlfriend. I am not hip any more.

Sooraj - doesn’t sound like your boss listens to your feedback. My employees have told me in the ppast that they did not like the assignment I gave them, and I either try to accommodate them or tell them to suck it up (only if it’s a business necessity and I have no backup for them.) If the latter, it’s up to them to complain to my boss or quit.

Just keep in mind that your boss (specifically yours, not me or as a general rule) seems to think of you as a resource and not as a person with likes/dislikes and preferences. Let him know tactfully that you hate the assignment and have some reasons ready as to why. Suggest someone else who will do it better. Tell him you appreciate him moving stuff around. Even if he doesn’t do it now, he may do it for a future assignment. Ultimately though, you have to be prepared to quit your job if the assignment is really the pits and absolutely something you cannot stomach.

^ and you want to share your feelings with your boss. Maybe it is code for girlfriend.

Thank you friends… Ive decided to leave the organisation as well once I complete my L3 as well.

I tried explaining my boss my feelings - it was an exercise of playing with the pig in the mud!!!