Hacksaw for all you inferiors

Well - this morning i was checking out WSO and I came across this article:

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/blog/how-i-got-a-770-on-the-gmat-with-minimal-effort-while-working-banking-hours%E2%80%A6

Moral of the story, this OP got a 770 putting in minimal effort while working 80+hours coupled with the fact that he frequently pulled all nighters. The elitist level has reached new peaks…

I’m confused, so he’s really good at middle school algebra. What’s the point?

Must have been kartelite. He also passed Level 2 with only 40 hours of prep.

GMAT is just a test that asians cheat on. Until he gets into a Top 2 MBA program, he has the hacksaw resting on his sack.

It’s the internet. If you believed everything people posted, I have a bridge I want to sell you.

Statistically, if 1000 investment banking analysts take the GMAT, someone is going to hit the top of the distribution. Is 770 a good score?

Reminds me of that State Farm tv ad with the blonde chick.

770 is good, it’s not that remarkable. And neither is the study time necessarily. It’s good, but not worth getting in awe over. So much of that exam is based on your background and utilizes pretty simple calculations. In the end it’s just a test, I scored 760 in 3 months of somewhat unfocused prep while working, and it was somewhat less than usefull to me.

Is it a covered bridge? I like covered bridges.

760 and no Harvard? Granted GMAT isn’t everything but 760 is pretty high and above the average for HBS no? What else do they want? 4.0 and building a drinking well in Africa?

Err…Harvard has a pretty straightforward admissions process. I don’t think a very high GMAT score will really influence that much.

I know a bunch of people who have gone to HBS, they have identical backgrounds (3.5+ GPA from top 10 school, experience = IB/McK/B/BCG). I don’t think they all killed the GMAT though.

Some are just genetically excellent test takers. My lazyass roomie from college has a 3.0 GPA but a 790 GMAT. I don’t think he’s getting in to HBS.

^This. People often put far too much weight on the GMAT. I think it’s kind of rediculous. So you’re good at middle school algebra and grammar, so what? How does that demonstrate good leadership (what top MBA’s are about)?

Thank you for your idiotic contribution.

I find that tests like GMAT are a lot about consistency, not just raw intelligence (although it certainly helps). I bet that anyone here can answer the hardest GMAT question. The problem is, under test conditions, you will be careless and get some wrong just by mistake. To get a perfect score, you cannot make mistakes.

I wouldn’t classify 770 as good. It’s at least very good.

even HBS only has an avg of 724.

lol

He’s going for the water bottle. and then the baller dopp kit

^Only reinforces the argument that GMAT has limited utility beyond a certain threshold.

My GMAT experience is vastly different from most, I’m guessing. I didn’t study at all (not one bit), and got 560, which is the median score. (Or at least it was 7 years ago.) I didn’t bother putting too much effort in because I knew I was going to Local State’s part-time MBA. (A good-full time program wasn’t going to accept me because of my lack of experience and enlisted military background.)

Do people really study for the GMAT like they do the CFA exams? Like, 15 hours a week for several months?

*facepalm*

Some people spend significant amounts of time studying for the GMAT.

770 is a very good GMAT score.

Let’s do our best not to let the elitism seep out of that link onto AF.