Cuba

So Jay-Z went to Cuba per BS’s post.

This begs the question, would any of you go to Cuba given the chance? I realize there is a trade embargo, but rumor has it that if you slip customs a few extra bills on the way in they will not stamp your passport (heard from some randoms in NYC who were talking about their trip from Montreal to Havanna).

I have no interst of going, there are plenty of other tropical islands that I could see myself enjoying. Does the forbidden fruit appeal to any of you?

Word.

Everyone I know who’s gone to Cuba for tourism reports loving it. CT/TRH would of course have a blast doing whatever he does there, but even my Brazilian ex had lots of great things to say, and her tastes are quite different from CT/TRH.

I’d love to go. Culturally, Cuba blows any of hte tropical islands out of the water as a total destination. I also think the US embargo is criminal and should be lifted immediately. Imposing suffering and poverty on an entire nation over disagreement with their government structure is stupid and as I’ve said, criminal. People bring up the stupid missile crisis but ignore the fact that we do business with Russia of all places. We need to open up trade immediately to alleviate further suffering. This trade embargo bull crap is inneffective and harmful to the people we’re claiming to be trying to help.

I hear its terrible. The poverty is outrageous. Sure you can hit up a five star resort and what not. The place has never had a good government, unfortunately.

I’m very keen to go. Love Cuban jazz.

Never been there, but wouldn’t mind going. Isn’t it still a very popular destination for Canadians and Europeans? I understand a fair number of US residents make the trip from Mexico as well. As OP said, a few bucks to the customs agent in Havana and your passport stays clean. You need to slip a few to the customs agent in Mexico as well to avoid having two entry stamps for Mexico.

I believe what happens is that the Cuban immigration/customs agent adds a page to your passport with your visa and entry dates on it, but it is removable, so that once you leave, you can take it out of your passport when you leave as if nothing happens. You generally get there by flying via Canada or Mexico.

I went to Cuba about 10 years ago. I loved it. I’ve been to other places in the Carribean like the Dominican Republic but you just can’t compare the two. Cuba has so much more culturally to offer. Also, there is such time warp feel when you go there. You really feel like you’re in the 50s or something. Time has kinda stood still there which is a reason on it’s own to visit.

Regarding poverty there, yeah, it’s not rich, but I didn’t see the kind of poverty I saw in Central American countries. I can’t remember seeing beggars on the street or abandoned kids sniffing glue like I’ve seen in other countries. I think there must be a government net of some kind. Their government healthcare and education system are excellent for one.

I went in to Cuba with a German passport and they didn’t stamp it. They give you this stamped piece of paper that you hold on to and give them back when you exit the country.

I’d definitely recommend Americans visiting. I assummed that there would be some kind of animosity towards Americans due to the embargo, but nothing could be further from the truth. A lot of cubans I met had family in the US and a lot of them depend on money sent from their families there, so America is a kinda lifeline for a lot of them.

Lastly, if you want attention from the opposite sex, Cuba is THE place to go. I was swatting away women like flies when I was there and I’m not exactly a Brad Pitt lookalike.

The only two negatives I had about the countries where the food and that you always need to be on guard for people trying to take advantage of you.

The food is so bad, I just couldn’t understand how they can’t make a good meal. You don’t get restaurants everywhere like you do in other countries. You get little sandwich shops and whatnot that have no variety whatsoever (cheese sandwich, ham sandwich, ham&cheese sandwich). I once found a place that did a spaggy bolognaise and was looking forward to tucking in, and it was overcooked pasta with a tin of tomato sauce poured over it. They just don’t get food for some reason, I don’t know why.

People in Cuba see tourist as fat cashcows. They know that if they can hang out with you, they’ll get some benefit from you somehow. If you’re travelling alone and want instant companionship (friend or more), Cuba is the place. Spend a day walking the streets of Havana and you’ll have about 5 people randomly strike up conversations with you and want to hang out with you. It’s nice in one way because they end up taking you to interesting places and you can find out about their country, but in the end they’re hoping for some benefit from you (whether it’s just you buying drinks all night long or them taking you on a tour of the Island, or you buying stuff from a friend of theirs, or bringing a gift to their family). This gets old after a while.

Another thing I found fascinating about the country and was a real experience was that basically anyone and everyone there is bribable. As an example, on what was meant to be my last day there, I decided just not to catch my flight. I was in a bar and having a good time and I said fuck it, I’m staying an extra day. The next day I bribed a doctor to give me a medical note saying I was too sick to travel, went to the airport, gave the airline guy $100 and he put me on the next flight.

I’ve been and its awesome. I’d love to go back. It’s so refreshing how untouched it is in the sense that the US and US based companies have barely influenced it. Things are so cheap and the country is beautiful. Unfortunately I think that once the embargo ends and it gets washed by everything US the specialness will be ruined, so I highly recommend going in its present condition. Best way to get there is to fly via Mexico, I believe its cheaper that way vs. flying via Canada.

I went to Cuba several times and it’s head and shoulders above any other place I’ve been in the south (Mexico, Dominican, Jamaica, Honduras, Costa Rica, St Thomas, Roatan, etc.). Cayo Coco has the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen.

It’s a shame Americans can’t visit a safe and peaceful country yet every other citizen of the world can. Land of the free?

It’s a great place to study for your test if you don’t look at any women, LOL.

^Much Love.

Went in my teens and had lots of fun. Yeah, it felt like living in the 50s over there.

I think now people who travel to Mexico to receive medical treatments are also going to Cuba these days.

Sick.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/regional/34663-flights-miami-havana-cuba.html

I realize that Marine Corps Base-Guantanimo Bay is not the “real” Cuba, but I knew lots of Marines who were stationed at Gitmo and they all loved it. You worked about 100 yards from the beach. You got off work and went straight down to the keys were you could scuba, snorkel, and what not.

I never heard one single person who disliked being at Gitmo.

I think you have to qualify that statement.

Yeah, nice of them to give the inmates scuba diving breaks between torture sessions.

^ They’re not inmates, they’re detainees.

Respect.

This is a great move. Maybe people can finally agree on something. Or, maybe congress will just call Obama a communist…

Great news indeed. Cuba sounds like a great place. Apparently the cold war is finally over.