How long to do CSC?

I’m thinking about going for the CSC before I enroll and receive my books for Level 2 CFA. How long does it take to complete CSC? Is 4 months enough?

You should be able to do it in a month, tops.

It should take you about zero hours to do it. Because you should just focus on nailing the CFA and not do the CSC at all.

Yeah except that completion of the CSC is a regulatory requirement for a lot of positions.

Is it the Canadian equivilent to the Series 7 type exams?

+1 to both of bodhisattva’s points. It should take you a month MAX but almost everyone I know has done it quicker. I wrote it as part of the regulatory requirements for my last job.

IF you have an undergrad/background in business the CSC should be a straight joke; the passing scores are only 60% on both exams. The chapters are very easy reads and you should be able fly through them. The only stuff that will probably be new to you after the CFA Level 1 exam is the regulatory bodies (IIROC, MFDA etc.). I studied approximately 24hrs over 2 days (12hrs of total study time per exam) and aced it. My brother and friends have successfully used this two day intensive strategy as well.

They are easy exams, don’t let them linger. Just pound them out and enjoy your summer!

There are slight differences, but for the most part, yes.

Great, thanks guys! I’m going to hit for sure in these next few months. A lot of the jobs that I am looking to apply for list the CSC as a benefit. I’m going to take advantage of time while I have it

CSC used to require more work. When I did it 10 years ago, the requirement was an assignment to complete and 1 exam on all the material. The assignment was close to 30 pages long. Now it’s just 2 exams which is easier.

hi i am a fourth year finance student, I was thinking of taking the csc exams this summer, I haven’t taken any core finance courses though, just the introductory ones. So i was wondering on how to study for the csc and will it be of any help if i sit for cfa level 1 next year ? as i know cfa level 1 would be a lot tougher,

1 month max

thanks a lot. would oliver’s notes and preps be enough? or do i need to buy the course package from the CSI website, which is ridiculously expensive.

Never heard about Oliver’s notes. Just study A to Z. It’s easier than undergrad.

Don’t forget, clerks at banks study for it too, so we’ll pass on the degree of difficulty.

here is the link… https://www.oliverslearning.com/examprep/ep_csc_vol1_new.php did you mean the A to Z reading site? can you give me some links if possible ? there is a course in my school that offers classes on csc and after completing, students can either sit for the exam or not, but we have to pay double the tuition fee for this one. i think it would be a better idea to prep for it all by myself and give the exam and then i dnt have to wait one year just to take that course.

CSC took me about 1 hour to study for, before doing the CFA program, but as a fourth year accounting major. Waste of time, especially since I never went into that side of the business. If you NEED it for your job, then do it, but don’t waste your time if not.

The mutual fund pluggers at the retail bank can pass this thing. If it’s a challenge, you should reassess your ability to complete the CFA program. Honestly as a fourth year finance student, this exam is far below your current level of knowledge, other than perhaps some of the market rules that should take you an hour to grasp.

CSC and in fact all the courses offered by CSI are a joke. You need 60% to pass. People who fail the CSC exams either didn’t study and don’t have a finance background or are stupid. Don’t waste your money on third party study guides. Just pay for the course, read the books and take the exams.

As for the other courses offered by CSI. Unless you need it for your job or your employer pays for it, don’t waste your money.

I would fire someone that failed a CSI exam. I don’t care if I got sued for it.

^ Agreed.