Target Dating Like a Boss!

Any BSD on here have Target Date Fund Recos? I’m interested in throwing in a dollar cost average recurring buy to help with market swings.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin/2013/06/05/the-trouble-with-target-funds/?partner=yahoomag

Whoever invented target retirement funds, the portfolios that automatically turn more conservative as you age, must be some kind of marketing genius. There are 2,019 of these things on Morningstar, if you count all the share classes. The category has swallowed 13% of 401(k) dollars.

Whoever is buying the funds would not be at the genius level. They have not figured out that they are getting ripped off.

The sales pitch goes like this: When you are young, you can withstand a lot of investment risk and your portfolio should have a high dose of stocks. When you are old, you should have half or more of your savings in bonds. So the fund sets your portfolio on a 40-year “glide path.”

The image conjured up: In your bold youth you soar to the heights. As you turn 67 you coast into a worry-free retirement where, to judge from the photos used in ads, the main activity is fishing with your grandson.

The problem with target funds is that they carry stiff expense burdens. Let’s illustrate this by picking on BlackRock, whose LifePath 2040, intended for a saver who is now 40 or so, is typical of the genre. The prospectus discloses that your projected ten-year expense bill (assuming the account grows at 5%) totes to $2,478 per $10,000 invested.

At 40 you should have $300,000 salted away, if you want any prospect of fishing at age 67. On this sum BlackRock is proposing to soak you $74,340 between now and when you turn 50.

For this you don’t get market-beating security selection. Over the past five years the BlackRock 2040 fund has averaged a pathetic 1.9% annual return. All you’re getting is that glide path, a gradually declining allocation to the stock market.

Now consider Vanguard Group, which uses low-cost index funds to construct its target portfolios. Its offering is more economical, but not as economical as it should be. Evidently the tradition of gouging target fund customers is so strong on Wall Street that even Vanguard can’t resist it.

The Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 has a ten-year cost of $230 per $10,000 invested, less than a tenth that of the BlackRock fund. But why pay even $230 if you can get the same portfolio cheaper?

The prospectus for Vanguard Target 2040 reveals that the fund consists of a 62.7% allocation to the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund (VTSAX), a 27.3% allocation to the Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund (VTIAX) and a 10% allocation to the Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund (VBTLX).

If you have at least $100,000 to invest, you can replicate these three positions while qualifying for the ultracheap Admiral share class for each. Knock off Vanguard’s target fund with a do-it-yourself mix of Vanguard’s own funds and you’ll get the ten-year cost down to $109 per $10,000 invested.

The Vanguard target fund will not make you rich, but it will probably leave you capable of paying for bait. Its performance over the past five years averages to 4.8% a year. That’s not far from what I would expect it to earn, on average, between now and 2040. The do-it-yourself version will average a tenth of a percentage point more.

To follow the glide path, put a disproportionate share of your new 401(k) contributions into fixed income. You don’t have to be scientific about it. Review your balances once a year and get your allocations reasonably close to the ones in the fund you’re imitating.

If your 401(k) plan doesn’t have cheap index funds, your best bet may be to use the plan’s brokerage window to buy exchange-traded funds. Tickers for Vanguard ETFs that match the funds cited above are VTI for Total Stock Market , VXUS for Total International Stock and BND for Total Bond Market.

Handy report here…

http://corporate.morningstar.com/us/documents/MethodologyDocuments/MethodologyPapers/TargetDateFundSurvey_2012.pdf

I loves my Vanguard Target Date 2050; I believe the Vanguard funds are best-of-breed. Super-aggressive at this point, which I like.

I think I pay 0.17% annually, or somewhere in that range. I don’t believe that buying indiviual funds is significantly cheaper.

Yes, if you can do all that yourself, then target date funds might not be a great deal. But for most investors, they are a better solution than leaving them to their own performance chasing ways.

I thought this was going to be a thread about targeting who to date.

I figured that CFAvsMBA wanted advice on how to pick up women at his local Target store.

Maybe refer to “people of Walmart”. Lots of prime dating specimens there.

Anyway, do these Target Date funds do anything other than reallocate the basket based on some formula of your age?

Yes; they keep you from continually monkeying with your investments.

I like Ohai, but you gotta admit that Wendy gave a great reply and gets to the truth of the matter.

Anybody see the commercials for moving your 401k funds with E*Trade…what’s the deal with this?

Maybe it would help to have a formulaic allocation, given that my investment strategy for the past 5 years has essentially been “equities strong like bull”. Not too happy these past couple of weeks.

Then again, there is something wrong with the target date funds offered by my 401k. They are underperforming everything. Somehow the result is not the sum of the parts…

How are they undeperforming, and what are you comparing them to and with what statistics?

Wendy, respect. This is my problem. I think being a CFA, MBA, CAIA, and FRM BSD that I’m smarter than the market and initiate tactical allocation which has yet to work in my favor.

Much like the philosophical thread, the only thing I know about investments is I know nothing about investing.

“A physician who treats himself has a fool for a patient”

I think the situation is similar for a financial analyst who actively invests her/his own retirement fund.

It was after I earned my CFA and MBA that I gave up on trying to beat the market in my spare time.

I like the idea of target-date funds for the average 401k investor who doesn’t know anything about anything. But for those of us who are more market-savvy, I think that having more control over your funds is a good thing, as long as you can exercise self control and not change your investments willy-nilly, or “monkey” with them, like Wendy said.

Personally, I’m 100% stocks right now, with a heavy tilt toward frontiers, EM’s, and small-caps of all types. No target-date fund is going to give me that. They’re all going to have some bond exposure, which I don’t want.

(Which makes me wonder–with the market at an all-time high, is it good to back from stocks right now? I dunno. I suppose that’s another thread altogether.)

I think you’d be surprised at how aggressive today’s target date funds are; they generally put investors in 90% equities / 10% bonds up to age 40.

I still have a high proportion in cash right now. I think the real danger is that interest rates will rise. This will feed into stocks in a bad way. However, once that happens, stocks are likely to be priced for decent growth. It sure is painful right now (though less so recently).

Higher interest rates are going to clobber fixed income though, continuing to make stocks look like the better asset class, IMO. Most of my stuff is cash right now, I’m thinking I’ll make my Roth IRA contribution for the year and then go shopping if things go down a bit more.

Target date funds are extremely important for your average 401k participant. 95% of people out there are still better off in a bad, expensive target date fund than trying to manage it themselves.

I have half my 401k in a target date fund and the other half in a self directed brokerage account. I use the target date fund as my benchmark.

Agreed.

Although you could get your local CFP to help you.

try to use vanguard whenever possible for this. it really is a match made in heaven.