20 things 20 year-old's don't get

Here’s an interesting article from a guy who seems to be successful. It’s not about abstaining from self-gratification or cleansing one’s colon, but might be worth a read to some of you young-un’s out there. (I’m an old man, so some of these ships sailed long, long ago, to a galaxy far, far away.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonnazar/2013/07/23/20-things-20-year-olds-dont-get/

#1 I so rarely find young professionals that have a heightened sense of urgency to get to the next level.

Yea? tell that to the 30% of CFA candidates population that are students.

I hate these old fogies writing about our generation like they know a thing. This whole “YOU WHIPPER SNAPS R LAZY. (LOL DID YOU SEE THE R, I SPEAK INTERNET TOO - KIDS)”

I don’t know how much of an advantage “urgency to get to the next level” is. Sure, it looks good on paper, and urgency is presumably better than laziness, but when the rules change and you realize you put all that work into something that was a good idea at the time but has just been made redundant, I’m not sure the people who were urgent actually end up with the great advantages they were supposedly getting.

One thing that young people realize today is that you can depend on very little. Perhaps your family, and maybe a few friends, but that’s about it. It sure seems that integrity is for suckers these days, and most young people got the memo early on.

spoken like a true collectivist. *god* help us all.

In mean, these are almost common sense tips. I disagree that the author thinks people in their 20’s don’t know this or haven’t at least thought about it and decided if there was a better course of action or not.

You need to stop seeing collectivist ghosts everywhere. It must be scary to be spooked so easily.

This statement was entirely separate from any arguments about whether human beings have obligations to more than themselves. I was actually admiring young’uns for their adaptability.

[quote=“bchad”]

[quote=“Turd_Fergeson”]

read: “i’m not responsible for my own success. other people create my success. integrity is meanlingless when when the ‘self’ is not the source of all success”.

You have tunnel vision, Mr. Turd… You keep sending everything through the same chute.

I disagree! Today’s young adults are very reliant on society and family. When the recession hit, many young adults moved in with their parents. With Obamacare, 27-year-olds can still get health care from their parents’ plans. On a societal level, education and social services are more accessible today compared to most times in US history. Perhaps your view is colored by your personal experience that have forced you to be independent. However, most people are not like that.

Yes, you’ll remember that I made exceptions for being able to depend on family and even a few friends.

Can they depend on Obamacare for health insurance? I suspect they won’t succeed, but clearly half of Congress is determined to kill it if they can. I wouldn’t call that something you can “depend on.”

I’m sure that my personal history has colored my view, but I see plenty of others left out in the cold with really few options. Turd says it’s their own fault he was so successful.

I think Chad is referring to the hard awakening that a lot of people realized upon graduation. A lifetime of rhetoric to graduate in the middle of an era with few living wage jobs available. He specifically mentioned that young people can still count on family and friends. We can debate the fact they move back home, but then we have to debate the reasons why it’s not possible for most to live on their own right off the bat. I believe the meaning of his quote was to say that young people realized early on that the things their teachers and society as a whole expressed were not true. This does make our generation a lot less trusting of people’s preaching about what we should or should not do.

People always assume that its all their fault they are successful. Really there is luck and circumstance is factored into that – but no one admits that.

Ok, fair enough. I would still argue though, that the reason young people have become disillusioned is that they had become complacent and reliant on the first place. Following the good times in 1990s/early 2000s, people had taken for granted that there was access to education, good jobs, and other nice things in life; if you are in your 20s today, this was the only world you would have known until the financial crisis. So, when the outlook became more negative, the fact that these things were no longer given became a hard realization. Even the people who are “left out in the cold” will probably have ultimately better standards of living than most people in US history.

This guy really does come off as kind of an a-hole, although I agree entirely that far too many people try to make “social media” a career. One thing he does not state that I think is important is to have multiple skill sets, plan Bs and live within your means. If finance tanks and I lose my job, I’ll be fine. That is a good feeling.

No, Turd’s success is all his. No luck contributed. And don’t tell him otherwise, or he’ll call you a collectivist, which will haunt you to your dying day (did he really say that about me??? OMG)

lxwarr30 understood what I was getting at. And rawraw caught another dimension of it.

I agree. Technology gives us a lot of comforts that past generations did not have. I just think it’s not right to raise a generation to follow a set of ideas and blame them when the rules got changed. You can’t really expect people who were under the age of 18 at the time for being reliant on the previous generation to tell them how the world works. The sad thing is they were honestly giving what they thought was sound advice.

nope just clear vision. you ooze it without even realizing it. like someone who downs a sub and sweats cold cuts the rest of the day.

How about this: the one thing everyone can be 100% sure they can rely on is themselves. people who realize this and take responsibility for their own happiness find a way to succeed, regardless of the obstacles or future failures in the way. yes, on any given attempt, good or bad luck will play a role. but over time, people who learn from their mistakes and are determined to create the conditions for success will eventually find it. this is a truth that you refuse to accept.

I admit it. Being born into a white, middle middle class, 2 parent, supportive family in the US has greatly factored into where and who I am today. I built on that foundation through hard work, but certainly caught some other good breaks along the way, as well as some not so good breaks.

Luck = Hard Work + Opportunity