10 tips to avoid speeding tickets

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-tips-to-avoid-speeding-tickets-004701391.html

They appeared to have missed one: don’t speed.

Seriously?

“Find a friend in the local police department”?

“Pressure your legislators”?

“Record the conversation you have with the ticketing officer”?

“Check the Manual on Uniform Traffic-Control Devices”?

“Check the technical calibration of the radar”?

Sounds like somebody’s putting in an awful lot of work to break the law. Seems like it would be easier just to go the speed limit.

This has got to be the worst list ever. Modern Laser/Radar really can’t be beat. Someone who lives in a state where Jammers are legal may weigh in here, but most detectors are useless. Radar is NOT left on continuously in most cases as the old school radar has been linked to brain cancer in officers. Laser is INSTANT ON so unless you are faster than the speed of light, you won’t slow down in time.

Here are CvM’s tips.

1. Don’t be passing every mufugga on the road while you speed. The officer can/will include this in the ticket notation as grounds for seeing you exceed posted speed limits. Speed in ‘packs.’

2. Don’t speed in the left lane - that’s for passing and often ripe for the picking when officers are lasering drivers.

3. You play, you pay. Be ready to pony up some lettuce for when you DO get caught. If you’re as analytical as me, most of the time you’ll only save marginal time by speeding vs. leaving sooner.

4. Don’t speed and you won’t get caught. That’s what I do.

The key is to blend in… join a “convoy” if possible. As for me… I usually cover my license plates and wear a gorilla mask to hide my face. It generally works, except that one time that was awkward.

Highway speeding is a very subtle skill. When to slow down (approaching the top of a hill for example), being alert, and smart, and knowing the terrain is your best bet.

Cops generally don’t sit there with their KA radars on anymore. It’s generally all laser now, and by the time your warning kicks in, you are caught.

I advise against keeping quiet in run-of-the-mill interactions with police. It’s better to treat them respectfully than have them get defensive (a good way to lose a half hour or more of your life).

If they ask how fast I was going, I always say I thought I was going the speed limit (unless a prosecutor is reading this, in which case I definitely wasn’t lying and did think I was going the speed limit).

If I’m driving on a curve or hill or was anywhere near a curve or hill, I start talking about the physics of radar detection.

“Find a friend in the local police department”?

This works often if the friend at the police department gave you a PBA card. I have been let off the hook quite a few times by just placing the PBA card under your license.

^ PBA card?

My attorney says “Survive the encounter, be polite, then fight it in court.” The less detailed the notes/audio is the better. You want the cop to show up to court thinking, “Who the fck is this guy, I don’t even remember citing him/her?” You’ll at least get a reduced fine, keep it off your record, or even be found not guilty.

PBA - Cops have these cards that they can hand out to relatives and close friends. It has the name and precinct at which the cop works and your name. It’s like you scratch my back.

My brother always wins in court. He says as long as there is a reasonable doubt, you’re off the hook. It’s your job to provide that reasonable doubt.

I find it strange to get speeding ticket advice from New Yorkers. How many miles do you guys actually drive a year?

I think you screwed up that quote. Took me a while to see you replied in the quote itself

PBA cards only work if it’s your county or maybe the neighboring one you get caught in. If you have a PBA card from Bergen County and you’re pulled over in Long Island and present it - LOLOL. If you’re in Morris County with the same card then you have a real shot. Not all cops know each other and it really only matters if the guy you’re presenting it to knows someone off your card. The whole idea PBA is instawin is totally wrong.

Do people actually get tickets in manhatten? My ex used to drive like a maniac (worse than cabs) and she never got pulled over.

My roommate in college, his dad was a dentist in oyster bay and he provided discounts to police officers and due to this, they gave him some card to show to officers. A few times he was pulled over and flashed that card and was awarded a warning. I guess even law enforcement yields to the mighty power of dentist…

Along the same lines:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/politics/2013/11/ex-cops-guide-not-getting-arrested/7491/

It was hard to see this until I looked more carefully. It has to do with trigonometry and how speed works when you’re moving at an angle and measuring from another direction. You can back out the correct speed with sin/cos/tan if you know the right angle (which you wouldn’t really know in practice).

Many of the recommendations are part of the ancient world. Nowadays, the idea of a pair of guys sitting on the roadside and taking radar measurements is a bit outdated. Most of the tickets are written by automatic speed cameras, in our out of city. You drive too fast and the ticket is in the mail, no human intervention needed.

Automatization is much more productive and hopefully allows the police to do something more useful towards solving or preventing crimes.

LMAO OK dude. 5 star post