Black Friday

Not really a shopper myself and have a general dislike for other people, so Black Friday is a day for me to avoid stores, but what about the rest of AF? Anyone planning to brave the unwashed masses to score the deal of a lifetime? Any amusing Black Friday stories?

Exact same.

I only have to shop for my wife. She takes care of the rest. I’ll hammer it out on xmas eve.

Whoa whoa whoa… what do you mean ‘Black’ Friday?

j/k I have no interest in standing in line but will have to head over to Petsmart and Petco for some dog food and dog toys deals.

Never have I ever shopped on Black Friday.

Never do I ever intend to.

Thanksgiving is all about three things–Food, Family, and watching America’s Team.

I used to look forward to Texas vs. Texas A&M every year, but A&M took their ball and left the playground.

Is that the same as Martin Luther King day?

Unfortunately in Japan (at least Tokyo anyway), “black fridays” happen more often than most cities… there are always people lining up in front of stores for limited edition of this, some desiger crossover with another designer, new store opening, etc…

i wouldn’t say i like to wait in line but some of the most interesting things happen during line-ups.

Cyber Monday all the way.

if I can’t buy it on Amazon then I ain’t buying it…period.

people that stand outside for 5+ hours or go to Walmart at 3AM to save $10 are complete jerkwads

You can probably save some money if you are the first person in line and buy like 5 TVs, each at some discount. Of course, you will experience the less quantifiable costs of your time and dignity, not to mention the risk of bodily harm from stampeding shoppers.

[video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8wAYoIm5Ho]

Walmart Black Friday Event Video. This is what people will do for a $2 waffle maker

I was talking to consumer products management the other day and they mentioned that they were thinking of promoting a $1 Keurig, but they concluded that “it would be a massacre.”

There were people in line and camped out LAST WEEK!

and usually unemployed and unemployable.

The bro they interviewed was unemployed. Took a week off doing nothing, and his TV, to best buy to wait in line, to buy a newer TV.

Don’t people get killed by stampeding shoppers on a regular basis down there?

I know lots of people that travel down for the bargins, which I think is absurd once you factor in gas/flight + accomodation + duty/tax. I think it’s really just the experience. Americanism in all its glory.

Unfortunately we’re adopting it up here too with most stores having Black Friday sales… which makes little sense here as our Thanksgiving weekend was a month and a half ago. No real holiday atomosphere.

Like others in the thread, if it’s not available on Amazon, it’s not on the shopping list.

If by “America’s team” you mean the cowboys, the last time they were America’s team, Danny White was punting and pitching, I mean throwing.

I prefer to buy things after Christmas, as stores are actually trying to get rid of stock during that time. They are not trying to lure you into the building like they do during Black Friday. It’s like buying roses on February 15; I explained to my wife that this is a smart trade that takes advantage of supply and demand factors. However, for some reason, she does not understand this.

This used to be one of my favorite holiday traditions. Cooler full of beer, car full of buddies, sitting in a parking lot at 2a just to go buy some batteries or a crappy set of knives all as an excuse to go eat brunch and play video games the rest of the day starting at 9a…now its ruined.

Its definitely a great look into the American consumer, and how sad the state of our society is becoming. OMG Hunger Games DVD for $2, I take it all back!

On the bright side, it is quite marvelous how the US is so much better than other countries at redistributing excess stuff. Compared to other developed countries, the US offers much lower prices on all kinds of consumer goods, partly because we have much better distribution systems for overstocked products. The “shopping hooligans” are an inevitable side effect of this consumer focused culture, I suppose.

My sister used to make Black Friday a big event. My BIL would rent her a limo for the day so she and 3 or 4 of her friends could hit the malls/stores in northern Delaware (home of tax-free shopping) and pound champagne until they couldn’t stand. I understand it got a bit out of hand a few years ago though, so she doesn’t do it anymore.