Wrongful Tow

So my girl’s car was towed this weekend and fortunately i was able to smooth talk the tow front desk into sending me pictures of the tow. One of the pictures has, front and center, and sign that proves there was no warrant for the tow. I’ve had my car towed three times (all for some bs snow emergency even though i have resident parking) so needless to say i am out for blood. I was calm and collected athe time time but im looking to serve the revenge cold, and poisened. Any suggestions to raw dog the tow company and the police officer that issued the ticket?

Flip 'em, and go for the kingpin.

1. Is she a >7?

2. Take a 9 iron to the next 4 tow guys kneecaps.

So they just randomly towed a car for fun? What did the ticket say?

Sounds like something you would have to take up with civil court unless they will waive the cost and apologize to you (which is a zero probability event). Good luck though, the tow trucks around where I live pretty much run the place.

On a sidenote, I’ve sometimes wondered what would happen if you started a “business” with a tow truck where you just straight up stole people’s cars and sold them to chop shops. I guess you would have to watch out for lojack, etc. but this seems feasible for a skilled thief in a big city if you mix up the tow locations and don’t get greedy.

^ There was a CNBC Greed episode on just that. Some outfit in LA would tow high end cars, strip the VINs, then ship them to Asia to be resold. The heat came on, and the shop vanished overnight without a trace.

Not towing, but similiar.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/crime-law/a-miami-story-flashy-cars-brazen-thieves-and-murde/nLhZ2/

What does the sign say? Normally signs don’t just say “hey park here” they say don’t park here for X, Y, and Z.

There are a couple blocks here near a bunch of bars/restaurants and you can’t park there after 8 or 9 pm without a residential permit. So every night at about 5 mins to the hour, the meter maid meets the tow captain, who has 4-5 trucks on a sidestreet, then they just pull away the whole block. Sucks, but proves that people either don’t read signs or they misjudge their time requirements.

Sounds like a good show.

Also reminded me of Cocaine Cowboys where some drug smugglers in the '70s used to ship their coke in the trunk of a car being towed. That way if the tow driver got stopped, he could just deny that he knew anything about it. Not that anyone stops a tow truck anyway. That movie was whack.

^genius

I’ve had my car towed a couple of times. Right from outsdiue my own home!!

How much does it cost to get your car back? Mine is c. £450.

Cocaine Cowboys was sick!

Send the sign pic. I got towed once because I forgot about street cleaning, but dude three times? Damn, go park elsewhere. Anyway, they will do random construction around here and will put a sign 24 hrs in advance usually but sometimes it’s not very obvious…in any case, if she missed it she’s effed. Check online, there is usually the reason.

The second one was even better! Two of the best movies I’ve seen.

Ill attach the pic once i get it from the tow company. The sign says vistor parketing m-f 2 hour limit and unlimited on weekend (this was the weekend). This ticket was only 150, but the ones i have got were in xs of 200.

Ramos - the first time i was towed was street cleaning. The other two times have been due to snow emergencies and me being out of town.

Lastly, it looks like we all went into the wrong business. These two companies make bank and have no responsiblity of mistake.

She paid right? Unlimited means you can park for as many hours as you want but you have to pay for those hours and have the pre-paid ticket displayed, at least that’s my understanding.

Na dog, i paid.

City marshall here in NY is a fking racket. They towed my car for a couple of unpaid parking tickets that added up to >$350 with penalties. Apparently that is the limit before a city marshall (appointed/selected by the city - there are like 50 in NYC) can tow your vehicle to recoup the fines.

If you don’t pay the fines [in cash] they are allowed to auction your vehicle within 72hrs. I had to pay over $1k to get my car back and those fkers scratched up my entire rear bumper during towing (which of course they are not liable for as per the law)

Worst part was when I walked to their ‘office’ it was a shitty lot in the outskirts of the Bronx surrounded by cheap chain link fence. The woman was using a grandma calculator (the one with big number keys) to add up my fines and gave me a paper fking receipt that I had to leave on my car dashboard for 3 weeks to allow their systems to update my records.

All cash business and they are allowed to drive around the city with a license plate scanner and pick up ‘legally’ parked vehicles for unpaid parking tickets. They have to give the city a kick back but get to keep well over 50% of the revenue.

Nah, they shouldn’t have tried to replicate the classic.

I think I’ve been to that same lot. Were there a couple of pitbulls in the cheap fenced in area?

I may just take a 9 iron to a kneecap anyway. I hate the fcking tow truck driver.