Google Glass

Has anyone here tried Google Glass? Likes / dislikes?

I just got an invitation to purchase one. Cool technology but price point is $1,500 plus tax.

I’ve played with it. I don’t see much that makes sense to be an early adopter. I found it a pain to roll my eyes enough to see stuff. Plus, people assume you are always filming them and isolate you.

Eventually, I suspect people will get used to it and there will be more useful apps to go with it, but - while I thought it was cool - I don’t see the urgency to get one now.

This is going to change the world in terms of law enforcement. Now, rather than just a microphone on their chest for routine traffic stops, they will also have a running video from the officer’s point of view. Bad guys will be a lot less likely to try anything when they know a camera is focused on them versus the camera on the dash of the squad car.

i wouldn’t use it even if i get one for free.

i would play with it at home, but wearing it out look extremely dorky!

i think google glass is one of those retro perspective of modern technology, like in the 90s/ early 00s we all thought we will appreicate smaller and smaller phones (or wrist watch phones), little did we know, phone are actually getting bigger and bigger instead.

we may THINK having glasses and not using your hand is a great idea but in reality, people would find it socially awkward to use. Just think about how many people are still using bluetooth headsets and handsfree and speak recognition to call people?

Related to this. Who uses text-to-speech frequently? I occassionally use it to write a text message on my phone, but that’s about it.

I remember in the 1990s, people thought that we’d be speaking to our computers all the time in offices, but I rather like not having to talk out loud and also not having to filter out what everyone else is saying, not to mention wondering if my computer is going to insert it into my document if I mutter something under my breath.

Keyboards are pretty functional, and I’m glad I don’t have to interact with my computer the way I tend to have to interact with telephone customer service.

I’d look at that to mean cops will be a lot less likely to break the law in situations if they know they can’t play the officer said/criminal said game anymore. I think all law enforcement should have to wear on body video and audio recording devices whenever they are interacting with people.

^ That too. Cops have a hard job man. While some are bad people, most are overworked good guys dealing with dirtbags day in and day out.

^ I think it’s the first time I hear a visible minority giving props to the cops.

Cops…come and try to steal his props…

I think if copy knew they were being recorded and filmed everywhere, they would probably be less abuse overall

Donut sales would plummet too

I don’t think many cops are bad people. I just think people respond differently to dealing with the bottom part of society constantly. This isn’t an excuse for bad behavior, but just a realization the situation they are placed in is challenging. I’ve seen first hand how some friends have changed

Back to the original topic: Yes, Numi, you should get the Google Glass because chicks will ask you about it. Based on AF, this is the #2 reason to do anything. Even if the device itself is a piece of crap, it would still be an interesting piece of crap. Just do not wear it all the time, as you must balance the douche factor with the utility from chicks attention.

Cops are the worst. I’ve had several bad experiences and I’m not at the bottom of society or scummy looking. My favorite? When a guy was drunk driving through my college neighborhood and swerved into 4 cars parked on the side of the street, crashing into the last. One of those was mine and my roommate told me this guy just hit your car and ran off (on foot - left the car). I walked to the top of the street where a cop usually was to report it. I told them what happen and I said the guy took off this way. They were like “Jump in the back point him out for us.” Cool. I’m a detective…

Within 2 minutes we see him stumbling running around and I point him out. They then call him in and take me to the scene of the crime. I ask them to let me out now (backdoor is locked). They refused to. Another car showed up. I said, “Excuse me, can you let me out my car was hit I helped spot the guy.” Wouldn’t help. Anyway the window was down and I put my hand through the bars and I was about to just let myself out. This cop comes up threatening me he’s gonna arrest me or some other bs. This was probably 30 minutes I was kept in there. I lived right there and would of sat on my porch if they would let me out. Thanks for taking away my rights when I help you do your jobs. This is why I will never help cops again.

Think google glass will be a massive massive flop.

We just don’t need it.

They’re the worst, and don’t let anyone tell you that “most of them are good people.” If that were the case, they wouldn’t lie to protect each other when their buddy killed a civilian or framed a person to hide their mistakes, or broke the laws they are supposed to enforce. They’re also overpaid unionized thugs with PTSD, but that’s another discussion.

If they wore google glass, there would be several thousand incidents per year of 90 year old men “attacking the cop, hitting his face and shattering the google glass, which in turn flew off the officer’s face and smashed the dashcam” Then the Chief would demand more funds every year claiming that the departments lack of new technology is somehow surrendering to dangerous criminals and drug cartels.

Oh yeah, google glass is weird and makes you look like a dweeb.

Exactly!

People are going to find texting easier than talking. Imagine all the emails we write at work are voice to text? Our throats would break in one morning.

Back to Google glass - if people do find wearing glasses convenient and wouldn’t mind using this “wearable technology” all the time, why do people wear contact lens???

It really depends. I have both glasses and contacts. “Professional Numi” wears glasses; “Down to Party Numi” wears contacts.

Right, i don’t mind wearing glasses sometimes, but if it’s your “phone” would you leave your home without it?

Likely not.

I don’t know. Cell phones should be a pretty ridiculous thing to be carrying around. I used to have everything worked out with two pockets in my pants - the keys pocket and the wallett pocket. Yet, I still got used to carry a clumsy smartphone everywhere.

Nowadays we think it’s pretty normal to carry smarphones around. Maybe, after some uneasiness, the wearable devices will catch on. Asides from the (important) privacy issues, it’s like getting rid of a pocket watch and buying a real watch instead - that worked fine for a lot of people back then.

“Wearable” won’t necessarily end up being the glasses. Maybe smart watches will catch on - maybe smart watches that can project images in front of our faces - who knows?

I personally abhor the idea of everybody needing crazy futuristic glasses for proper interaction, but then again I’m that guy who bought his first cell about 5 years ago (and grumbling about it too).