$4.5B divorce

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-oligarch-faces-4-5-110345713.html

Cliff Notes version: Dmitry Rybolovlev lost in divorce court and has to pay $4.5 billion (that’s billion, with a “B”), plus surrender a couple hundred million worth of real estate. Of course he’ll still have about $4 billion left.

Surely there’s a more cost effective way to deal with that problem. I hear siberia is pretty desolate…

Hope she knows how to handle that kind of money.

You know, maybe marriage isn’t such a bad idea…

She’d have to work pretty hard to blow $4.5B.

she most likely will be dead before she sees the money - she got too greedy

Simple “do nothing” can be very detrimental. It has to be put to work.

Why is she greedy? It’s marital assets (from the article it appears that they were married before he made his fortune) why shouldn’t she get half?

Although, nobody is more crooked then Potash billionaires, so I’m sure he’ll find a way around paying her.

ah marriage. isn’t it grand? betting half your assets on a sub 5% chance you’ll be happy for life

Did anybody google her? She’s pretty MILFy.

She’s gonna disappear forever before she sees a dollar.

the daughter is dope

A lot of pictures online that are supposedly of the daughter are not actually her. This is her:

It’s such a waste that someone with so much money didn’t end up (or buy) someone hotter.

That’s the daughter, mom is actually a fair bit more attractive.

Well, maybe he didn’t have money when he married her, but got rich afterwards.

Pretty sure he thought the same thing as FT and thats why she’s getting a 4.5B settlement.

Supposedly he’s “ended up” with many, many, many much hotter (and younger) women over the years.

I’m with you on the greedy part. She’s just doing what she can. But why should she get half? You say they’re marital assets, but if that’s the case, they’re only marital assets because some law said it.

For instance, only about ten states in the U.S. begin with a 50/50 division (google communal property states). Other states have some sort of equitable division, which might be something very different than 50/50.

I’m more interested in what the law should be than one the law is. I’m not denying that she probably contributed in some way to him earning those assets, but let’s not pretend like she earned the money. Maybe give her enough so that she could live a top 1% lifestyle the rest of her life. Beyond that, seems unfair.

^ Other articles have referenced his purported dalliances with many young women. I believe that factors into the calculation most of the time. I’ve also read though that most of his assets were moved into Cyprian trusts several years before the Mrs. filed and Cyprus has no agreement with Switzerland compelling them to honor the ruling, so she’s unlikely to see the money. It will be interesting to see if her lawyers attempt to go after assets held by the daughter, as they’ve alleged that they are really the husband’s assets and he has just used the daughter to protect them.