Hiring a Private Eye

Anyone ever done this? I have hired one overseas before but never local. I’m looking for a PI to do some background checks on public companies and their (probably lying) executives. Just want to find dirt on related party transactions, lawsuits, illegal activity, etc.

Any suggestions? I can probably pay $100-200 an hour but I doubt I would pay more than that. I tried one already and he was terrible so I’m looking for any recs if someone has one.

Is that legal? I mean, you can spy on anyone you want to a certain degree, but can you trade on the information you collect?

Isn’t that the exact same thing as Bud Fox following that British dude around on a motorcycle to see who he’s meeting with, then reporting his findings to Gordon Gecko and trading accordingly?

tl’;dr - Michael Douglas is going to punch you in the face and you’ll never be allowed back in the industry. But on the bright side, you’ll wind up with two hotties on each arm years later at a social event, see GG and rub it in his face.

I have no actual experience in the area, but I would think the typical PI would be horrible at what you’re looking for because they would lack the financial expertise to even know what to look for, unless you’re just looking for someone to pull court and police records.

It’s legal, why wouldn’t it be? I trade on lawsuits and criminal history all the time. I’m probably better at finding this stuff than most investors but less so than a professional PI I bet.

You’re probably right higg, it probably needs to be a hedge fund PI but I don’t want to pay $500 an hour so there has to be a middle ground.

Just be sure to terminate any loose ends, so that any illicit dealings cannot be traced to you. “Money buys a man’s silence for a time, but a bolt in the heart buys it forever.”

Nothing illegal about it.

Bro, are you friends with any police officers? Many ex cops/FBI guys go PI and keep strings attached to their former crews in order to get an edge when digging dirt.

Otherwise do you know any criminal defense attorneys? Most top shelf defense lawyers use several PIs in order to assemble evidence to their case.

But, if I see a Sherlock Holms looking mugga following me home though, I’m kicking his a$$ and coming after you!

I took your post to mean you wanted the execs tailed to see what they were up to and who they were meeting with. If you just want to do a deep dive into any possible misconduct, that’s a little different. Obviously anything that’s public record is fine, but if your PI was able to dig up something that’s been expunged or under a gag order, then I’d say that’s certainly illegal.

I sure hope so.

By the way, smile for the camera buddy. I’m watching you. . .

Private Eyes They’re watching you They see your every move

Duuuuude the end of Sunday’s episode, OMFG

GoT <3

Not that hardcore but I know one fund does stuff like that, having CEOs tailed. However they’re a $2B fund and have a huge budget. I’m not opposed to it, my view is the CEO of a company works for me and needs to take that responsibility seriously.

Bro’s BSD status has reached a new high.

i think bro had john rogers tailed thats how the dirt got out and eventually forced him out

Yea. This is kinda cool. This is the next level of looking at insider transactions. “Joe CFO sold 1,000,000 shares not because he doesn’t like the company, but his coke habit is going off recently my PI said he was sniffing it off a ‘glamore model’ in MIA”

If I were you, I’d go the lawyer route. A good criminal defense attorney will appreciate being in on the early stage of snagging a new white collar criminal client. This could be a good backstratching relationship no homo.

This is no joke. I heard one microcap company that was on the edge of default was run by an alcoholic CEO who had 6-8 scotches at lunch every day. We bought stock, got him fired, basically saved the company, and the stock tripled.

I always send notes on my short reports to a list of class action attorneys. Companies love that.

Hmm, so no suggestions on who I should contact?

Harold Levine

Lawrence Sanders wrote a couple of good books in the late 80s about a financial detective named Timothy Cone called The Timothy Files and Timothy’s Games. The titular character was a hard-boiled wiseass detective who worked on things like insider transactions and fake news stories made up to help short sellers.