World Cup Fans in Blackface

What say ye hardcore football fans: just some good natured, fun-loving chaps having a good time, or vile racists who should be dragged onto the pitch and stoned to death?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/fifa-to-investigate-germany-fans–blackface-against-ghana-165531831.html

BTW, the guys in the second picture look American to me.

I think they’re Belgian. Belgian colours on their Lei, the Hawaiins will surely be gravely offended.

What’s strange is that the first face I noticed in this pic was the girl on the right, and not in a flattering way either.

BTW, what’s up with her right hand? Please tell me it’s somehow just a function of the camera lens.

^ I meant the guys in cargo shorts and the high quality silk screened tee shirts.

Who cares? Typical overreaction to a costume. Maybe someone should run an article when a bunch of non-Irish folks wear leprechaun hats on St. Patrick’s day… Grow up already America.

^ Also: not saying that blackface is acceptable or appropriate. But this horrified response is way over the top. Not appropriate, but also not news in any way.

Such loveable scamps, those Neo Nazis (?).

Isn’t there some Dutch thing where you put on a blackface? Dutch Halloween?

Not sure if it applies here, but it may not be as racist as it looks.

My understanding is that blackface is bad in a US context, because of the history of minstrel shows caricaturing african americans, and typically in an unfavorable way. When other cultures do it in other places, the meaning is not necessarily the same. So unless the Germans also have this tradition, I don’t think it means the same.

^ You don’t think other ethnicities are parodied negatively? I agree that’s the source of the general outrage against blackface, but honestly I think it’s hypersensitivity. I don’t think it’s appropriate, but I also don’t think it’s a big deal.

Usually if you choose to ignore them, they go away. The only reason this is offensive is because we make such a big deal about it.

What about the reference to throwing bananas on the field in league games?

Yawn. I have bigger fish to fry.

So… only black people should be throwing bananas, but white people should be throwing pencils, and Asians should be throwing baby carrots?

^I hope that’s a poor attempt at humor. I’ll tell you what. Go visit CvM, bring a few bunches of bananas with you and throw then at the feet of his neighbors. Let me know how they respond.

I would have gone with white people throwing Stevia and Asians throwing calculators.

^What about Asians playing ping-pong with a pair of nunchuks? Aren’t all Asians either nerdy, mathy types or martial arts masters?

This happens with alarming frequency at European football games.

I think STL’s version won.

I’m not really sure what stevia is but it always makes me think of lydia rodart quayle

I’m going to a World Cup party tomorrow. I have not watched a single game or even know how soccer is played. I plan to chase some tail as usual.

What’s up with Soccer at the moment? And yes, I know I’m a fuggin’ moron for not knowing any of this.