Bonus Potential

So i am an analyst in the capital markets group at a REIT and got paid a 25% bonus last year. This year, my company restructured the compensation for all the groups and i now fall in the 10% bonus potential band, which seems really low to me. I’ve talked to my manager (VP of capital markets) and she’s on board, and she’s made my case to the CFO, who doesn’t wanna listen. I wanna give it a shot.

I was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what the bonus potential range is in the market for analysts in capital markets group. what have you guys normally seen?

Thanks!

10% is what back office usually gets

Is your base salary unchanged? It’s easier to argue for YoY compensation, rather than bonus %, which is not always a meaningful number.

Standard bonus in my company is 5%, only more if you get exceeds expectations or whatever in your annual review, and I’m in our client facing research side. We just don’t get big end of year cash bonuses here (but do get another ~7% bonus into our 401k at YE). So I wouldn’t be complaining with your downgrade.

They increased my base, which was merit based and had been decided last year to bring to market level. Total compensation ends up being less than what i made last year.

Declining total comp is generally a good argument for an increase in one way or another in my experience.

When it comes to total comp, if you are not even getting a cost of living increase (basically rate of inflation or 2-4%) YoY, then GTFO if they wont budge. You’re working for less money each year and wasting your time.

Even a cost-of-living increase is basically a slap in the face. That says “We don’t care what you did for us this year, w’ere paying you exactly the same”.

And if you DO make headway and they say you will get a bump, get it in writing or its a lie.

Tell them you are going to have leave because you gotta eat, they usually will budge since they usually don’t want employee turnovers.

Doing this without an offer in hand is dangerous, especially if you think it may take some time to get one. In my experience it totally depends.

Your biggest leverage is when you have another offer in hand. Under your scenario, they can call your bluff.

Yeah I wouldn’t do that without an offer. If they call your bluff and you don’t quit on the spot, you’ll be looked at as some wimpy ass fool for your remaining time at that firm. If you’re going to threaten to leave, you better have a resignation letter in hand and be willing to check out that day.

Is bonus generally considered essential part of contracts you guys have? Bonus here is voluntarily and is paid only with a corresponding company profit. This year we had…

1%!