Asset Management

Hi guys,

It’s been awhile. I’ve been pretty busy doing my MBA and summer internship (BB asset management firm).

Although I am expecting an offer from my current employer, I think the best thing is to also interview this fall with other firms as well: Capital Group, Black Rock, Fido, etc you get the idea. Want to give myself some options and hopefully have some leverage.

I wanted to know any advice on prepping for these that you all may have? Any resources etc. Any light you can shed on the process would be good. I hear that a lot of these guys put you through an absurd number of interviews.

Read the articles in my signature, especially the one related to how to break into hedge funds. Typically the most resonating ideas with primarily long-only shops arestuff that you think has a multi-year runway whose earnings power is currently underappreciated, or where the stock has been bombed out and you have a contrarian view. Extra style points for spin-offs, special situations and sum-of-the-parts.

The interview process in AM is similar to many hedge funds in that you will need to have good investment ideas to speak about, and also will likely be asked to work on a case. Sending in a stock pitch as part of the screening has been mandatory for Capital Group in the past; not mandatory for Fidelity but you should have good stock write-ups already if you are serious about getting a job on the buy-side. If someone wanted to to get into the buy-side but didn’t have a good stock write-up there is no way I would take them seriously.

There is a rigorous interview process but I have helped several clients get jobs at both Capital Group (they were hired into the MBA intern class, then given full time offers) and Fidelity (both for MBA recruiting as well as pre-MBA).

They have a lot of interviews because a lot of people will interact with you and even non-management types can get experience interviewing. Don’t offend anybody and talk about how awesome you are when asked, but not before. Typical interview, you’ll nail it.

Make sure you interview at Goldman, Blackstone, and KKR too before making your decision. You want to give each of them a fair chance to bid for your services before you bless one of them.