What should I wear to this thing?

I am meeting this guy who has interest in hiring me. For some reason, this meeting is in some cafe/public place, rather than in an office. It seems like it would be weird to show up in full suit. So what is appropriate? Normal office attire? Tie? Also, he is the one who found me and asked me to come, if that matters. Dude is some rich guy and probably 55-60 years old. right now, I don’t think I will take the job if offered, so this is an opportunity for him to sell the position to me as much as it is the other way around.

Greenman, as an owner of short sleeve button shirts, your fashion advice will be disregarded.

Thank you in advance for other opinions.

It’s always better to show up overdressed than the opposite. I would go with a full suit. First impressions are important. Even if it’s a cafe place and you aren’t too interested, it’s still an interview.

You should not go if you are not interested.

I guess it depends on your reputation and the type of job, right? You are a quanty derivatives guy I think? No one expects math dudes to show up in Armani suit, that’s for investment bankers. If it were me, I’d probably roll up in some BR dress pants and a nice button down shirt (tucked in) with the sleeves rolled up. Why? Because I got shit to do and can’t be worried about a suit and tie. Value investors are kind of like that too, no one really goes all out with a suit and tie (because YOLO). Also a suit and tie sends the impression that you are trying really hard.

Depends if this is in NYC though. If ex-NYC, the decision is clear. If NYC, you might want to go more formal than you would elsewhere.

It’s nice to be in demand, congrats.

I would go even if you are not interested. The first job I took on the buyside was an interview I was not interested in, but that changed 10 minutes into the interview when I heard the PM start talking about stocks. You never know.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I agree. Interest is not binary yes/no. I would not go if I was totally uninterested. However, interest level will change as I learn more about the guy and the job. So there is always opportunity to make the meeting worthwhile.

I would go business casual with a tie, no suit. If I invited someone for a coffee chat, I’d actually think the guy is a bit overreaching or trying too hard to make that good impression by showing up in a suit. True skills doesn’t need a suit, save that for meeting clients.

+1. i might skip the tie tho

Business casual with sportcoat, no tie. Full suit isn’t necessary unless you already wear that every day.

Switch “tie” for “suit” and vice versa and I agree 100% with itera.

A tie without a suit strikes me as a very unusual look. Business casual to me essentially means no tie and you can probably drop the jacket too. But to go with a tie and no suit just seems odd. In my mind I am thinking hipster with a skinny or knitted tie worn with skinny jeans and a blazer which would be an awful look for an interview (unless you are working in fashion or design etc). What kind of outfit do you have in mind here itera?

By the way my advise would be to veer towards overdressing, especially since the guy is older than you.

^ agreed.

I’d go with a suit, no tie, or pants and a shirt as bromion suggested, if it’s hot weather.

LOL @ no suit + tie.

If it’s in a café I would absolutely go for suit + no tie. Seems like a good compromise.

I would also go to that meeting. You never know. Even if you don’t take the job it might be a pretty good contact, or you might end up having an interesting conversation with this man.

my bad. I meant to type “with a suit, no tie” just the jacket I meant, which you can always take off

You guys seriously don’t wear these? SS button shirts with a pair of dockers is very common around these here parts.

Anywho…I met with a guy yesterday who was interested in all my skills. And I wore a pair of slacks, a long-sleeved button down shirt (with buttons on the collar, if that means anything), no tie or coat. If it weren’t summer, I would have considered a coat.

Full suit with no tie is dorky. Ditto full suit with no coat. Either wear both or neither. (But slacks and coat is fine, as long as it’s not suit slacks and suit coat.)

Tan color, lightweight suit with brown shoes on the lighter side (loafers with some patina would be the best), belt to match. Breathable, textured button-up shirt, maybe something in the light gray to blue range. Dark maroon or darkish blue knit tie. The knit tie is important because you still dressed up, but doesn’t look too forced.

Don’t wear black shoes to this. It’s the summer in a cafe. And if you are ghost-white, get a bit of color if you can prior to the meeting.

@Greeman most of us live up North where it rarely gets above 85.

Since it’s not in an office, I would say that makes it a business casual meeting. Slacks and sportcoat (not a suit), no tie.

If this was int he UK it would be easy, suit for sure, tie optional.

but you north americans love all this buisness casual with all the baggy ‘dress pants’ and terrible fitting jackets.

This is universal, however…