Malaysia Trip

Just booked my trip to Kuala Lumpur - Malaysia. I basically have 3 days of conference/work then 3 days for myself. Any thoughts from locals on how to spend those 3 days? I’ll be staying close to the city’s golden triangle and commercial district.

Thanks!

Zouk!

But seriously, just look on TripAdvisor. The city is pretty hot and humid to walk around a lot in, and frankly I don’t think there’s a ton to see, but there are good options for day trips or you can even catch a flight to Langkawi. There’s good food and tons of nice malls, if you’re into that.

which airline carrier are you taking…?

Already checked few options on tripadvisor and I can’t wait to try the “good food”!

Itera it’s definitely not malaysian airlines lol !

If you love shopping, 3 days are not enough to go around nice malls there smiley I don’t think there are much to see in KL but as a first time tourist in Malaysia (are you?), it’s ok to visit some tourist places of interest in KL.

For places other than KL, If you love nature or want some relax on the beach, Langkawi is the best suggestion. If you love gambling, go to Genting and stay there until you head to the airport to fly back home. The minus point is that your time will be cut down to less than 3 days due to traveling time. Another option you might want to consider is to visit Singapore if you have never been because 3 days are too many to spend just in KL without shopping.

If I already didn’t know you were a chick, this line would have gave it away :slight_smile:

I would say from KL it is very easy to go up to Malacca with is worth a visit. Cameron Highlands are a little far but great Indian food, hiking and fruit!

Thanks for the advice! i’ll check the malls and i’ll be visiting Malacca City too. I don’t think I have time to visit Langkawi though

Oh, I forgot mentioning Malacca crying… It’s sales off season so my mind is just full of shopping …sorry… Yes, the city is definitely worth seeing especially if you are into heritages. One day for KL, one day for Malacca and one day for checking out malls would be good enough… Have fun and enjoy :slight_smile: !!!

@FT: in the exotic Asia, you would be so into shopping regardless you are a chick or not … :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello, OP. I lived in Kuala Lumpur for many years. I’m looking through the Trip Advisor list, and here are the things that I think are worth seeing (in no particular order):

1. Petronas Twin Towers (KLCC): This is probably the first place you will go. a) It is convenient to access, being next to the LRT, and b) It is close to, or houses some of the other attractions, like the mall, Philharmonic, Aquarium* (“ria” means joy or fun. So “Aquaria” means aqua-fun or something), and Petroscience museum. If the weather is nice, you can go to the tower bridge and look at the view. This makes KL Tower redundant, and I would skip this other tower; while the viewing area is higher, it is hard to get to, and you must climb some big hill to get to the building. The revolving restaurant at the top also sucks. Go to KLCC viewing area in the morning though, as sometimes the spaces fill up. KLCC and Twin Towers are the same place, but I guess one refers to the building itself and the other is the mall at the bottom.

2. Bird Park: Because there are ton of birds here. Unlike in other countries, I find that the Malaysian workers are relatively ok with you fondling the birds… They might peck you though. There is also a pretty good show where a parrot will ride a little bicycle, play cards, and do backflips.

3. Sri Mahamariamman Temple: Of the “historical architecture” places on the list, this is the only one worth going to. It is still a temple and there are people that go and pray and burn incense stuff there. Apparently, you can get free tea somewhere here. I never saw it though… While you are in the area, go eat Indian food in some coffee shop. In Malaysia, it is a thing to eat “roti canai” (you probably call this “prata”) plain or with infused butter, banana, egg, peanut butter, or other ingredients. Also try “paper tosai (dosa)” if you see it, because it is like a big (2 feet sometimes) thin thing that is fun to stuff in your face.

4. Butterfly Park: Similar to Bird Park, and it is in roughly the same area. The facility is not that big, but it has the most butterflies I have seen in any butterfly park anywhere. In fact, there might even be too many butterflies. The last time I was in this place, all these butterflies landed on me, and I was like “get away from me, you motherF…!” the whole time.

5. National Museum: I would check to see if there is a special exhibit first though. The last time I was there, there were mummies and shrunken heads.

6. “China Town” or Petaling Street: Locals don’t call this China Town… who wrote this… Anyway, this is essentially an area full of shop houses and street vendors where you can buy various knockoff goods. If you have been to Bangkok, it is something like that, but just smaller. This is also right in the middle of the city, and you can easily travel from here to one of the many malls in the area…

7. Malls: I don’t know how the malls are where you live, but if you are used to something like the crappy small malls in the US, the KL malls will blow your mind. You can walk around one of these all day, and in fact, the locals do. The best, newest, and most upscale mall is Berjaya Times Square. Pavilion is probably the second best one. KLCC mall is also ok, but is not nearly as big or impressive. Mid Valley mall is the biggest one, but it’s not as nice and the main reason to go there is to marvel at the insanity of the person who decided to build it. The downside, though, is that I would not buy much at these malls, except maybe some local souvenirs. Most goods, particular imported brand items, are controlled by specific retailers, so you will not get as good of a deal in KL as you would in some other countries. It is quite impressive to see all the fancy stores in the same huge mall though.

8. Central Market: This is somehow not on the Trip Advisor list? Anyway, this is like a mall that only has local hand crafts. So, it is very interesting for visitors and you can buy stuff like wood carvings, batik, paintings, and kites. It is the favorite KL place of my wife (who is a US person). There is also a “fish spa” on the ground floor. You put your feet in this fish tank, and the fish will eat the dead skin off your feet. There is also a fish spa in Berjaya Times Square.

9. Eat local food: My advice is to not bother going outside and eating street food. Just go to the malls and eat in the food court. Again, do not compare the food courts here to crappy US Panda Express etc. These places offer real, authentic, high quality local food in a more comfortable (air conditioned) and sanitary setting. However, nothing really beats the time I went to Manila and saw some guy literally roasting a whole pig on a spit in the food court…

10. Go to a 5 star hotel like Renaissance and eat the buffet.

Other notes: Night life in KL is not that great. Islam really kills the drinking culture there. If you must go out at night though, maybe try Jalan Bukit Bintang or some hotel. I never found Malacca to be that great. It’s just some old fort and dilapitated buildings. People seem to like it though, so I guess it depends on opinion.

*I once groped some girl in the Aquarium, because I thought she was my gf. It is not my fault… Asian girls all look the same. Anyway, that was awkward. Before she could react (she was still shocked), I abruptly ran away.

+20 lol

Definitely swing by Donetsk and the Indian Ocean while you are on your way there!

I hear their own national airline is having a good sale right now.

Glad somebody why lived in Asia feels that way too. I sometimes wonder if asians think that about white people.

When I first saw the volume of your post, I thought Bchad hacked your account.

wow thanks all for the valuable input… appreciated

Disagree. If you have limited days, try below -

Langakawi Kuala Lumpur Genting Highlands Cameroon highlands Redang/tioman

follow this order from top.

No the Asians do not think about the whites like that I feel.

Well, its actually not true for whole asians… From the North east of India to the Chinese, Koreans, Japenese - they all look very similar for many of us Indians as well.

Asia as a whole is too diverse for me to look alike!

Chinese, Japanese and Koreans look similar because of their single eyelid but you still can point out who is who based on their styles. Korean girls do plastic surgegy like crazy and they all look like one another or like some K-pop star. Those who stay natural look so typical Korean that its hard to mistake them for Japanese or Chinese.

I have been travelling in Indochina for the past days. It’s really fun when sitting among tourists from many places in the world and guessing where they are from just based on their appearance, accents and languages.

Eat lots of durian!