Reclining airplane seat, yes or no?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-08-26/legroom-gadget-maker-sees-sales-jump-after-air-rage-case.html

Short version is, some guy bought some device that keeps the person in front from reclining their seat. Lady gets pissed and guy won’t remove them even at flight attendants request. Lady throws water, they get kicked off the flight.

I’ve only flown twice in my life, never knew this was an issue but apparently some are saying you shouldn’t ever recline, some say “i have my rights!”

My mind isn’t 100% made up, what’s the deal?

Oh for the record, last time I flew, I reclined and the person in front of me reclined but I didn’t notice much difference from either of our actions.

This is a slight tangent but similar topic:

I’m of the opinion that fat people should be required to purchase larger seats and/or flights should have a section of more expensive and larger economy seats for fat people. There is no way I should pay full price for a seat and then have some fat dude spill over into my chair.

People who have a problem with other people reclining their chairs should stfu and be encouraged to pay for these larger seats if that’s how they feel about it.

Also, for the record, the two middle armrests in a 3 seat row belong to the guy in the middle. This is not up for debate. People need to mind their own damn space.

I pretty much agree, but it can be a matter of common courtesey to the person behind you if you don’t put the seat back. At 6’3, I definitely appreciate it when the person in front of me keeps the seat up, as reclining the seat it would usually push it against my legs (especially on some airlines). I don’t recline my seat unless the person in front of me does, in which case my doing so allows me to adjust the angle of my knees and avoid knocking the seat in front.

Recline as you please folks. If people don’t fit, there is premium economy or business class. The chairs recline for a reason. I’m not going to sit straight up, especially on a long haul.

Absolutely, I dont recline only when food is being served! The rest of the time (when permitted) I do recline. They are there for a reason, and if somebody doesnt fit the economy seats - they can always buy the economy + seats :slight_smile:

I’m with you, also 6’3. Hate it when the dude in front reclines because now I feel like a jackass doing the same to the guy behind me. Flights are generally very uncomfortable anyway for me. I get business class when flying for work but fly economy when on my own dime. I would totally use this gadget, with the seat reclined in front, it’s impossible for me to use my table, my knees are in the way.

Just have some general respect for people around you, aren’t we all in this together? If some seven footer is behind you and you are already smashing his knees, consider whether it makes sense to try to jam your seat back even further.

Newer planes seem to have more room, hopefully that is a trend.

I think it’s ok in econ to recline. Yea it may not be the best for you, or people aroudn you, but that’s why you pay less for it.

Complete dbag move to lock the seat in front of you, thats like a short person going to a concert and insisting on standing on their chair because they can’t see. If you are tall and being squashed you can always try and ask the person in front not to recline, ask the air staff to move you behind someone who won’t, try and reserve a seat that isn’t behind someone or cough up the extra for premium economy/business. Completely obnoxious to prevent someone else using the seat they paid for, if some twat did this to me on a long haul flight they would have more than a glass of water thrown on them.

I usually inform the person behind that I am going to recline my seat. If I can see it will be a problem, I will not do it as I don’t want the confrontation. I am fine with people reclining their seat, but dislike it when it is thrust back unexpected.

I am 6’4" and it sucks when i have to fly economy. It’s so bad that anything over 5 hours I have to get business class or at least economy plus, else my knees look/feel like they will explode when I land.

But when in economy I try to be courtesous. When I get on the plane, I offer to buy the person behind me a drink if they wouldn’t mind if I recline. Only costs around 5-7 bucks, sets a good mood, and its hard for someone to be a total dick when I am going out of my way to be nice to them (when I’m in all my right just to recline my ass off and tell them to f-off). Typically they take me up on it, or just say no thanks and let me recline anyway. An ounce of courtesy goes a long way. I also try to make eye contact and smile with the person in front of me as they sit. It is plain as day that I am wedged in, and that human connection is usually enough for the person to not recline 100%. But if they do I don’t say anything.

On the other hand, if its a small child behind me, I’ll just slam my seat back like I own the place.

Question… Even if someone is using the gadget and you can’t recline, I imagine it would still be possible to slam my 6’4 250lb frame into the back of my seat enough to shake and spill thier drink/meal every so often, no?

Premium econ is an extra $30 usually. Just spend the cash if you’re an outlier in body length or mass. So many expect the world to cater specifically to their ever need. “I’m tall so the guy ahead of me should suffer in a straight seat.” Nonsense. Take charge of your own situation. Premium economy or plus seats or exit rows exist on nearly all major air carriers now. Go do it. Air Canada charges $25 for an extra 6 inches of leg room from the west to Toronto. I know United has similar arrangements. If you don’t spend the $25, then don’t complain about leg room. I’m not short either and yeah, on some planes it gets a bit snug. My fault for not paying up for more luxurious seats. I’m certainly not going demand or condemn someone for reclining the seat they paid for. Sheesh.

The longest flight I have ever taken was from Dallas to Santiago, Chile. 13 hours. My wife and I were in the very back row of the plane, and our seats were up against the wall, so they couldn’t recline. We had to sit up the whole way.

However, the people in front of us reclined their seats immediately after takeoff. They stayed reclined the entire way. It really sucked, because there wasn’t enough room between me and them to even read a book or magazine.

It’s normally some shit-faced little kid in front of me as well. They don’t even need the extra room.

This.

I just flew from Houston to NYC and it was an extra $60 each way for economy plus. I don’t pay for it because at 5’8’’ I fit fine in regular seats.

I fly a fair amount for work. I lay back depending on the situation – but I recently just started paying the money out of my pocket to upgrade to first class. I take the amount extra, divide it by the hours of the flight, and determine if I’m willing to spend that per hour of comfort.

Whenever I travel internationally for work and take my wife with me, I always fly business and buy her a business class ticket out of my own pocket also. The extra few grand is a drop in the bucket compared to the convenience at the airport and exponentially more comfortable trip in the air.

^ Sometimes its hard to justify for first class, but premium econ, even at $60, is generally a good buy.

I actually prefer sitting straight up and can’t sleep in a moving vehicle, so I never recline. I’m not a big fan of the person infront of me reclining, but it’s their right. People who chose to exercise that right, however, must do so with the understanding that when I shift around in my seat I’m more likely to bump their seat and when I or anyone in my row needs to use the bathroom they will almost certainly bump their seat.