Iphone 6

all in

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas-biggest-carriers-might-revealed-152104528.html

Looking forward to mine.

No one will buy this, Apple makes commodity products they tell us.

Its amazing that Apple can sell this for 3x the price of Google’s flagship. I’m not an Apple fan personally, but its pretty amazing they can extract such a premium from the market.

Palantir is incapable of understanding nuance.

BWYF is incapable of understanding reality.

C’mon man, you are supposed to fall in love with your stocks.

According to IDC:

Android continues to dominate the global smartphone market, with over 255 million units shipped and nearly 85% of the market share in the second quarter of 2014. Most of Android’s strength this quarter was fueled by gains in the low (US$100

iOS experienced a slight drop in market share, down to just 11.7% from 13.0% in the same quarter last year, representing the growing shift of demand toward low-cost smartphones. Despite the launch of the iPhone 5C to address a wider market base, most iOS devices remain out of reach for the average consumer. iOS enthusiasts, however, are eagerly awaiting the next device launch which could help lead to a much stronger third and fourth quarter, depending on the timing of its release.

I’m getting one. I have the 4S still and it’s time to upgrade. The battery life has gone to crap, especially shooting videos. I can start with 80% battery life and after three minutes of recording it’ll die. Three minutes isn’t nearly long enough for the, um, “nature” films I make.

Three times longer than what I need.

That supports my argument. Apple is a high end maker that targets the most profitable users, whether the low, sub 200 segment grows is irrelevant.

"Most of Android’s strength this quarter was fueled by gains in the low (US$100

Apple makes more PROFIT on each iPhone than these manufacturers make in REVENUE for this segment. Each phone has a BoM of about 200, and Apple sells it for 650…

^ Unfortunately that segment continues to decline in size. So they’ll have to grab more profit per device to maintain earnings. Which will drive more people to lower cost Android devices.

Yep, pretty much the definition of the term. Exactly what happened with PCs. Doesn’t mean AAPL makes “commodity products” but does mean the space is becoming commoditized. That is the distiction.

In another thread over in investing I went long AAPL about two months ago (I think) after being short a year or so ago. My rationale was that the company trades on product cycles. That said, if all they release is the iPhone 6 and nothing else I think the stock will be in trouble.

I don’t dislike AAPL and I own an iPhone 5, but I also find it more useful to actually think about a stock rather tha just be “OMG, Apple is the bestest company in teh world! I need another bumper sticker to finish my orchard of products! Anybody who states objective facts that conflict with my view of the stock doesn’t understand their business, which is the best business in teh world!”

What happened with PC’s? You realize Apple has been growing marketshare in a stagnant PC market and again, charging higher margins? The problem with objective facts is that they are stacked completely against your argument. Apple is a high end maker with the best brand, the best ecoystem, a loyal, passionate fanbase, unprecedented pricing power and profit margins for a hardware company. People who can afford Apple, usually prefer the iPhone. Granted, you have geeks who like to go on and on about all the features Android has, but they are in the minority, and I don’t want them as customers anyways.

Surely, Porsche, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi and BMW haven’t gone out of business because Toyota can make a 15k car?

People have been predicting Apple’s demise since 2011, and despite not releasing a single new product (except iPad Mini) they’ve continued to print out mountains of cash.

Even on the low end, these larger manufacturers are going to struggle as that sector is brutally competitive, whereas on the high end of the market, it’s just Apple.

What happened with PCs is that AAPL started out owning the PC market and saw their share erode steadily until their business suffered badly. From 1990 to 1998 (iMac release) the shares returned roughly nothing during the boom in tech stocks and PC adoption. 0% sucks, but 0% in that market really sucks. Then Jobs came back and released the iMac and several other products that reinvigorated the company.

Apple has never “owned” the smartphone market, they have only owned the high end of it. and yeah…this is John Sculley and Gil Amelio’s Apple.

The high end of the smartphone market is not growing. And, you must be reading something different from the rest of us if you think it’s “just Apple” at the high end – ever heard of Xiaomi, Huawei or Lenovo?

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/fitch-warns-apple-and-samsung-are-about-to-hit-a-wall-cm387965

They don’t really own the high end of it, either. the iPhone is the highest selling model of phone. But just because most Androids that are sold are cheaper doesn’t mean that a good deal of higher prices Android phones aren’t sold as well. The best selling Android phone (the Samsung S5) sells about 70% the rate as the iPhone. That gap is mostly made up for with the HTC One. When you add up other similarly-priced android phones, their sales figures surpass the iPhone’s.

Apple has a very strong brand, which is why they have a lot of repeat customers. However, they don’t have a whole lot of new customers these days. Keep in mind that a lot of the value derived from phones is the selection of apps. iPhone dominated early on because they had a higher user base, so developers focused on ios. Today that has shifted and more developers target Android because it gives them greater exposure. So the fact that their market share is dwindling puts them at a disadvantage to Android in the long-term.

Actually, they did own the retail portion of the market when the iPhone was first launched. Everyone either used a Blackberry (usually for work) or a crappy Nokia with no features and no web (not really a smartphone). If you wanted a web-enabled phone, your were getting an iPhone.