American Ninja Warrior

Anyone watch USA vs. EU vs. JPN last night?

I just started watching this show and was pretty blown away by some of the athletes last night. The two EU climbers were crazy good - and there was even one competitor that was an equities daytrader.

Having watched Stage 2 the week before it was clear they stepped it up a notch…like skipping rungs on the salmon ladder.

I saw the “cowboy” ninja. Shirtless, jeans, cowboy hat…what a douche. He fell from the rings.

I didn’t see that episode but I’ve seen the show a couple times and it’s cool. There was a video circulating about a month ago where some HCB killed the course, it was pretty amazing. I’d look it up if I weren’t so lazy.

I saw the Japanese version of this, where some fisherman became the champion. He did that thing in the finale where you use a bar and do chin-up jumps up some really tall ladder. Wtf do Japanese fishermen do?

That girl seems like the perfect woman to me. Her, and Jennifer Lawrence.

I agree, she seems like the perfect woman.

Ohai, that’s the salmon ladder…they can actually do two/three rungs at once and even have to jump from one ladder to another like three feet away. This japanese team didn’t have a fisherman, but a grad student, an auto mechanic, and a gardener - kind of strange. The EU brought in the big guns, they had this world champion climber Sean McColl, he destroyed everyone.

If that HCB was really short, her name is Kacy Catanzaro…she was a gymnast (Maury).

I have been following this show since it started showing in the States, including the Japanese Sasuke editions starting with Season 1. There were actually two fishermen to achieve Total Victory. The first ever was this crab fisherman named Kazuhiko Akiyama, but he is lesser-known than the second fisherman to win – Makoto Nagano. That dude was the man and made the course look easy.

The Japanese version had their regular course-runners, who were known as the “All-Stars,” and included gas station attendant (later owner) Shingo Yamamoto, who was basically the Cal Ripken, Jr. of Sasuke and ran the longest consecutive streak of appearances of all the Sasuke All-Stars. Another fan favorite was Toshihiro Takeda, a firefighter who wore the orange firefighting outfit from Gifu Prefecture.

The “New All-Stars” were a group that came in later seasons of Sasuke, including the most unlikely contender, a shoe salesman named Yuuji Urushihara, who was the only person to achieve Total Victory twice. The best part of the watching the Japanese versions is hearing the Japanese announcer with the subtitles. Those mf’ers are pretty sarcastic and hilarious as they describe the contestants.

The american version of Ninja Warrior was pretty awesome in the beginning, when we had our own group of “All Stars” – Levi Meeuwenberg, Brian Orosco, etc., but then Levi fell off the face of the earth and Brian Orosco really started being uncompetitive, and that no-personality David Campbell was the only one left carrying the old guard. Once they started making them into the current “city to city” format, they became much less enjoyable to watch.

This sounds like some sort of hard core version ot Takeshi’s Castle. Salmon ladder sounds wrong.

A couple months ago I was flipped through the channels with my son, he’s 4, and as soon as ANW came on he went insane. From that moment on the whole family got hooked on it. The things those guys (and a couple gals) are able to do is incredible. Disappointing finale though. No one made it through stage 3. Bummer.

To be clear, it’s not Blake hitting an 85 mph fastball impressive, but still pretty amazing.

The show itself is entertaing and the feats impressive, but I get turned off by the people wearing costumes and focusing on being a “personality” in hopes of achieving reality TV fame… Like that douche who wears the mask.

You sure? They seem about even to me. Blake has all the physics worked out, maybe you forgot that.

Well it depends doesn’t it? Are we talking about the pitcher’s mound being a full 60’ away or the little league distance of 45’? If it’s 45’ then that’s the equivalent of a 105 mph fastball.

Yeah, no doubt. That kid is a tool. The one that wears the flatbrim hat backwards, right? Don’t get me wrong, obviously a great athlete but I agree, lose the gimmicks.

I don’t care for the WWE-style intros either, but keep in mind these guys are trying to stand out to score endorsement deals. None of them have made it to the end to win the $500k prize. They want to the next REI posterboy. Look at that attractive woman (the gymnast) that made it to the semi-finals. I bet she has offers coming in from every which way.