Forum Trolls really are awful people, says Forbes article.

Trolls really are awful people in real life, too, says Forbes article. They aren’t just ordinary people who act differently because they are anonymous.

Interesting: I never had a true definition for troll: this makes sense

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdooley/2014/10/06/internet-trolls-really-are-psychos/

“They then administered a personality test designed to measure, among other things, what’s known as the Dark Tetrad. That’s a measure of negative traits: sadism, psychopathy , narcissism, and Machiavellianism. The correlation between these negative traits and trollish behavior was striking. No other kind of community participation showed such a relationship. The research validates what most community managers have always believed: trolls are awful people in real life, too.” ------------------------ Meh, I’ve seen this before, but as always with this mass media stuff – it’s a bit sensational and tells the masses what they want to hear. For example; there’s no particular reason to label psychopaths as “negative”, these traits exist in nature and serve a purpose; these people see things from an outsiders perspective, are decisive, and can make great leaders. Take Machiavelli himself, the founder of political science, he might have enjoyed himself some internet “trolling” from time to time had it been available. And he would have infuriated people. Of course some trolls are just plain stupid pimple-faced kids hidding behind their keyboard with nothing interesting to say. Disfunctional sociopaths, and/or losers. But the ones who are annoying because they make the masses think, I tend to enjoy.

^ Agree with what it says. Most apt statement for the recent invasion of AF by quite a few disdainful troll . As it says, they are “provocative and rude, and are known for creating posts for the sole purpose of agitating their fellow members” and they post “ not because they hope to inform or convince others, but because they know they’ll spark an avalanche of negativity”. How true!

So, you need to heed to the advice, “Left unchecked, trolls can destroy communities” before it is too late! And an apt suggestion for other community members, “Don’t feed the trolls

Machiavelli was definitely the ultimate troll, the Prince is pretty much a joke taken seriously for centuries. There are definitely a few high Mach folks here, but none of them are in the troll camp. I’m sure FT, for example, would score off the charts.

^ the difference is FT adds value, as opposed to other people who just fight back and forth and post pictures of some indian dudes abs.

^ Yes, I agree. Though I think some of our trolls are just stupid, not manipulative.

Who’s FT? I like this guy already. Future Trader?

^ Former trader. And I’d throw you in the mix too.

That guy is fine by me, but the two on the “ban watch” sticky seem like tards. Yeah, I’m probably a solid 7 on the psychopath specrum, nowhere near a 9 or 10 though (I’ve worked with those types before). The woman was reading a book about Machiavelli while we were poolside on vacation a few months ago. She read me a few parts, I’m like “that guy is totally right!!”. So probably 75% functional psychopath + machiavellian thought patterns (cynical beliefs and pragmatic morality). Wow, that makes me sound like a bad person LOL. Sadism though, I draw the line. It seems to serve no purpose. Enslave the masses to debt? Sure why not, for money. But just to see them squirm? Sorry, no point.

Bchad I totally agree with you,the only problem is how do you define a troll ?I believe trolls are defined by their purpose and their goal not by their behaviour.Also I believe the society in which troll are in plays a very large role in how they act,as far as I have seen and known this forum has a way to push people to act defensively and emotionally dont you think this add to the whole problem ?I am not a born CFA charterholder however its my dream to be one,yet as I of my 3rd post I have been mocked and ridiculed on more than one occasion.

If trolls are said to be having these traits in common then what about the rest of the forum ?I can name a few sadist at leat for sure.I believe I have acted as a troll only because this forum only answers to this kind of behavior,however I also take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for my behavior

An oldie news publication knows what a troll is? fascinating.

There is a reason a lot of news publications have been disabling comments.

Hmm…a desparate magazine relic from a bygone era throws out clickbait to stir up conversation on an inflammatory topic. Sounds like Forbes is trolling.

I’m sure you’re not a bad person, probably just misunderstood.

Is this thread supposed to discourage trolling?

Sorry to hear you weren’t born with the charter. Is there another way to obtain it? I noticed a tube next to my crib. All i had to do was take the charter out. Anybody else have similar stories?

LOL

X RAY is still a total busboy (brings nothing to the table–only takes stuff away) but I do admire his ferocious rear-guard action to not get banned.

The most entertaining troll on this site is iheartiheartmath. The newbies have a lot to learn from him: keep your posts sporadic and witty.

@H.P Flashman I will fit in with the crowd one day :smiley: