Average Salary for Certification - CFA - Malaysia

http://www.payscale.com/research/MY/Certification=Chartered_Financial_Analyst_(CFA)/Salary

Are you trying to tell us how much you make?

I think it is an FYI for all of us in Malaysia … all … one … of us

I wouldn’t be bragging… the high end of that range converts to $51,000.

^ Remember what Raul Roy teaches us though. With PPP that’s like 6 mil a year in the west.

^

Hmmm, he would be right though.

^ Not at all.

I don’t know. $50k buys you a lot of naans.

Who was the poster on here who had a personal driver for like $50 a week? At any rate, I think Rahul is on to something.

50,000 USD in a stablish South Asian or African country like India, Sri Lanka, Botswana perhaps offers a better lifestyle compared to someone earning 200,000 USD in the developed world.

It is why India and China are now able to ‘reverse brain drain’ talent that had left a couple of generations ago even though they cannot offer the same level of salaries in absolute terms.

^ Until any imported luxury costs you an entire year’s wages. The average Indian doesn’t even earn an iPhone per year. Sure, you can have lots of naan and a rikshaw driver but don’t pretend that its equivalent.

Comprehension fail.

Not really, no. Someone making $50k USD in India is in the upper 0.001%. Sure. Everyone in that elite level of income is happy. The upper 1% of Indians make $6,800US a year. Pretty much your argument is in poor countries labour is cheap so life is great for the super ultra elite. Well no kidding.

Talk about talking through one’s ass.

Comprehension fail again. Life is great for the ‘super ultra elite’ whether labor is cheap or not.

I am simply saying that the lifestyle of someone earning 50,000 USD in a secure emerging nation is relatively as good or better than someone earning 200,000 USD in a few developed nations which is why the original person who you quoted had some grain of truth in what he was saying.

It is also the fundamental reason along with identity issues why a few western people who are of Indian and Chinese descent are returning to their parents country of birth.

Labor is cheaper in those markets, but those things that most people would consider “luxury” like a nice car, vacations to nice places, jewelry for the ladies, etc… will be had at international market rates. Try to buy an S-class on your $50k/year.

People in developing countries just move downmarket for those things. In India, people will buy a Toyota Camry and have a chaffeur drive them. It’s probably the same feeling as having a nicer car in a richer country. Who cares if you don’t have a Mercedes if no one else has a Mercedes?

With that being said, developed countries tend to offer other benefits, such as lower pollution, better healthcare, higher levels of social engagement, and healthier environment and education for kids. Developing countries also tend to have pervasive social issues like poverty, discrimination and corruption in all levels. If you can ignore these things, that’s fine. However, some people cannot ignore these things and just feel more crappy because of them.

In addition, it’s just harder to be in the percentile of developed country people who have the same lifestyle as people in richer countries - sure, you can say the top 5% of India has the same lifestyle as the top 50% of US. But then, you have to be better than 95% of people if you live in India. In the US, you can be a total loser and still have a great standard of living.

I don’t know where you’re getting that from, but it’s pretty far off the mark. Developing countries tend to have far more serious issues with pollution (because of less developed economies) and healthcare is a relative joke (Indonesia ranks #92 according to WHO’s dubious ranking system, right behind Lebanon and not a single developing country cracks the Top 20). Education is sometimes okay, but not because of social funding or whatever, but because life is so miserable that kids work hard to escape it. Indonesia ranks dead last in terms of education spending per pupil and 104th internationally in terms of educational attainment.

I said developed countries are better. You seem to have misread that as developing countries are better.

Haha…Yup. :-/

I had rather be first in a village than second at Rome. - JC