Range Rover or Explorer

Is it just me, or does the new Range Rover Sport look a lot like a Ford Explorer?

Yes, yes they do.

The Range Rover looks better because the chick inside of it will look better.

Isn’t Land Rover still owned by Ford? If so, is this another one of those faux luxury brands? It’s the exact same car, but the only difference is the hood ornament?

Or is there a real difference between Range Rover and Explorer?

Tata of India bought Jaguar Land Rover from Ford in’08

The 510hp Range Rover sport does a 0-60 in 5.0 seconds - faster than a Porsche Boxster. That’s pretty good.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2014_land_rover_range_rover_sport/

I am in no way suggesting that the RR Sport and an Explorer are equivalent, but I saw a RR on the road the other day and initially though it was some special edition Explorer. Since the Explorer has had its current look for at least a year now, I’m really shocked at how similar looking the two are.

yeah they do look similar

Credit the Indians for turning Jaguar/Land Rover into a legitimate luxury manufacturer and not just a badge factory like Ford did, even if their contribution mostly amounted to a capital infusion. Sometimes, that is the most important thing to have.

Range Rover Sport is still based on a Ford platform. In fact, that platform is used for cars like Ford Fusion, in addition to SUVs. Nowadays, most SUVs are unibody designed anyway, so they can share platforms with cars (maybe this makes them “fake” SUVs, but most buyers won’t care).

Plus, most luxury brands share at least some platforms with non-luxury models. The difference is whether they give you more goodies like better powertrain, quality interior, and other features to go with the higher price.

Tata’s turnaround of Jaguar is impressive. I don’t know if they’re good cars or selling well, but they look damn nice.

I agree - the F Type is one good looking ride.

Credit should be given where it is due. Jaguar has improved dramatically recently and are no longer a brand embarassment like they were in 2001 or so. However, they have a long way to go before they can be considered equal to their German competitors. So far, they are substituting quality for making their cars more “raw” or “exciting”. F-Type is a nice sexy car, but if you hire an engineer to take a hammer and tap everywhere, this car is nowhere near the standard of say, Porsche 911. Instead, Jaguar removes some insulating material and puts in a less efficient steering system to make all the critics say they like the engine sound and the steering effort. The car will probably break down every 10k miles too. Real buyers will choose the 911 nine out of ten times.

Jaguar is not really doing anything wrong. They are just a very small company in relative terms. They need to build a lot of sales volume and iterate their cars over several generations before they can match the quality of their competitors. As long as the Indians keep giving them money, I’m sure they will get there.

my boy was car dealer for long time, he told me range rovers are the mot over priced cars there are. also repairs are unreal $$$

i think the explorer looks nicer

Yeah I would take a 911 over a Jaguar F Type any day. But the 911 is $85k and Jaguar is $65k. A more comparable model might be the BMW M4 which is around $65k. (All base prices)

how about the gibli?

Yeah the chicks love it when you say I have a Maserati.

Looks like a cool car - I didn’t know you could get a Maserati for $65k until now. Reminds me of when Jaguar came out with their X Type to cater to a different market. I definitely would pick the Ghibli over an F Type, but I bet the upkeep is more than any Jag/BMW/Benz.

Maserati Ghibli is not a sports car like F Type; it is a sedan and competitor with high end 5 Series or Mercedes E Class. That is the point of the car - they want to eventually offer products that merely wealthy people can buy.

Maserati basically has the same strategy is Jaguar. They cannot make a Mercedes E Class. They just do not have the manufacturing and engineering scale. Instead, they make a car that is sure to be inferior in quality, but is more sporty or visceral, or whatever you want to call that. They will never capture a large market with such a car, but they will get the 2 percent or whatever market share they need to be viable and continue to the next step in their product line.

The equivalent Porsche to compare with the F Type is a bit hard to nail down. At the $65k or $70k price level, the natural competitor seems to be the Porsche Cayman or Boxster. However, if you choose the most expensive Jaguar engine, you can option the car until it costs $100k or more. At that point, it is a 911 competitor. Of course, you can also option a Boxster to $100k nowadays, so the lines do overlap somewhat. The cheapest 911 is probably like $85k or so. I forget, and Porsche keeps raising their prices.

Funny thing is that when people asked when Porsche will make a cheaper model for the entry level, the CEO said entry level people should buy a used Porsche. Take that as you will…

I am looking forward to being a Ferrari shareholder soon.

It is not as nice as the Range Rover Dennis owns on Its Always Sunny. Just saying. Class act.