Apple vs. Microsoft

Here we go. Have at it.

Did this post travel through the vortex of time, all the way from 2005?

This is not really a “great debate.” Completely apples and oranges argument (no pun intended), and it has been ever since the 90’s or even earlier. If you require an entertainment device or work in the so-called “creative industries” (marketing, design, film, etc.) then Apple products are the clear winner. If you need to work with Office (especially Excel), then the Microsoft products are better. If you are a frequent traveler, Surface wins over iPad if you find yourself needing to work in VBA. If you only need to view PDFs, write emails etc. then iPad is better on multiple fronts.

I don’t buy the argument that you need a Mac to be creative. I think people get them because it makes them seem more creative. I am anti apple though so take this with a grain of salt. I like what they did with the design and unique original products (ipod/ipad), but I hate the fanboy culture surrounding it. “Macs don’t get viruses” “this is a device for creative people” “it syncs up with all my other awesome apple products” “they’re so much faster than regular computers”

Gates still alive. Jobs dead. /thread

+1

I have an iPhone and iPad, and wouldn’t trade them for any other phones or tablets out there. (I don’t use my phone or tablet for work, though. If I did, I might sing a different tune.)

But I hate my Mac to the point where I’m debating on running Windows 7 on it. I’m sure that if you take the time to learn how to use it, there’s a lot you can do with it. But I just quite simply don’t have the time or desire to learn, especially when the whole corporate world uses Windows.

Apple and Microsoft aren’t really even rivals at this point outside of the desktop/laptop space, which is a minority of Apple’s business.

I think anytime you buy an apple product you paid a premium for something will less capacity purely for its “cool factor”. Yoy can get a $500 HP that is just as good as a $1,500 mac book, plus you can program in it with VBA. I’m not sure if you can program VBA on Excel for Mac.

I baught a macbook pro almost 5 years ago and it works just as good today as the day I got it. Granted I pretty much only use it for web browsing and movies, but still it’s held up better than some TVs.

I do wish Apple would come out with the iCamera. Android has a camera and it looks really cool.

Gates: $72 billion

Jobs: 72 inches under

Got an iPhone 6 for work, carrying two devices unfortunately. Much prefer my Nexus 5.

You say it like that’s a bad thing.

It amazes me that both AAPL and MSFT have similar P/E ratios. I mean AAPL is like this great company, maybe the greatest company in the world, and MSFT can’t do anything right, yet they are both priced around 18X.

Holy shit, AAPL is not the greatest company in the world! It is a commodity tech hardware company that had a good run but the world has caught up.

MSFT is clearly “the company that missed every good opportunity over the last decade-plus” so I won’t try to say they are better than AAPL, but AAPL is not even close to the best company in the world. Not. Even. Close.

The best company in the world is Mars, and in particular, its Wrigley subsidiary. Wrigley and Mars will still exist long after AAPL goes away. Every company you see today is slowly dying at some rate. Wrigley’s got the slowest rate I can think of.

yup

“Our approach is very much profiting from lack of change rather than from change. With Wrigley chewing gum, it’s the lack of change that appeals to me. I don’t think it is going to be hurt by the Internet. That’s the kind of businness we like” - Warren Buffett Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffetts-investing-quotes-2014-8?op=1#ixzz3Lr5WSpXc