Is Blood Thicker Than Water?

I say no.

Test: You get a text simultaneously from a friend (who has always been a great friend - there when you needed him) and your brother (a bit of an ass) both saying their car broke down 5 miles away and they need a lift. Who do you pick up?

No brainer. The freind gets the help. The brother can call a cab.

I’m pretty sure blood is thicker than water because it flows more slowly.

In the short-term, it can vary. In the long-term though, blood is almost always thicker than water. Just think of all the friends who have moved in and out of your life.

^ding ding ding. i the end there is only family

Yes.

I got arrested and got to use the phone for about 15 minutes (you don’t get one call like you see in the movies). Guess who accepted the late night call from jail, friends or family?

^ niether. both forgot to pay the phone bill?

Sure you will have family that will have your back. And likely family members with whom you have a great relationship will bail you out.

My point is, why, just because they are family, do you “owe” them something? I know I am in the minority, but just because we are related does not mean you spend the night at my house. My wife (who is Italian) had cousins spend the weekend with us. Cousins who she hadn’t seen in 30 years. But hey, they were on their way to Disneyland and needed a place to crash. She said “But they are family.” I said they are freeloaders.

I’m not 100% on your side elfman but I do understand your POV. My dad left his family when he was eighteen and joined the marines. He tried to rekindle something when my sister and I were born because he thought it may be exciting for us to know our cousins. In the end he decided they were the same people he left and chose to walk away again. I never actually got the whole story, but I think the crux revolved around being taken for granted which led to mistreatment. I think that in the case of your wife’s cousins that’s fine for them to stay a night. Afterall there is no bad blood there. Why not see if you like them (since you actually barely know them)? But if you are related to someone and they are not the type of person you want to associate with you don’t have to. I told my sister that we can choose our own extended family because I do believe in what my dad did. People who take you for granted will take advantage of you and expect you to continue to be there. I’ve seen it happen.

My brother missed my bday last year, all my friends were there. He told me to walk when I was stuck 2 miles from home and a friend picked me up. But I do know that if shit hits the fan and I need a bone marrow transplant or something serious, he will be the first in line.

I think the original saying was “The blood that is spilled in battle is thicker than the water of the womb.” It is interesting that the saying “blood is thicker than water” has come to mean the exact opposite of what it was originally intended. (IIRC, Brain posted that in another thread, but I couldn’t find it.)

side note - Also, the saying “the proof of the pudding is in the eating” has been shortened to “the proof’s in the pudding”. (“The proof’s in the pudding” never made much sense to me before.)

Imagine a murder mystery in which the murder weapon is hidden in the tureen of tapioca.

When I had a gall bladder attack a bazillion years ago and went into emergency surgery (with, apparently, quite a dire prognosis given to my wife by the surgeon), my wife phoned everyone to try to get somebody to take the kids home and watch over them. Family couldn’t be bothered; it was a friend (a former student of mine) who dropped everything and beelined it to the hospital.

Blood is thicker than water unless your family are a shower of ****s…

Maybe it’s a race thing?

I can understand both points of view, but it’s more necessary in the long term to cultivate good relationships with your family. They are permanent, after all. Furthermore, you must deal with them sooner or later when it comes to estates or other legal issues. Think of it as a business relationship where you might not necessarily get along with the people, but need them anyway for some purpose.

I’m sure there are coms cases where the family is truly dysfunctional and mistreats you to the point that it is worth disassociating from them. This probably only happens in a small percentage of families though.

The point of the “free loading” expectation is that you can also mooch off of the other relatives as circumstances dictate. Of course, if you so happen to be the most affluent family member who lives in the most desirable location, you will be a net contributor to the system. Just think of it as a form of social insurance, just like progressive income taxes or food stamps;

Thanks for ruining Game of Thrones.

lel

I agree with you, but majority of people disagree with you and me. My wife and I have argued about this for a while.

Interesting topic…

^What is your point in the argument and what is hers?

LOL

+1

Though I do appreciate both points of view, especially if you are comparing super close friends with douche family members. Most friendships in life however are transient. Family is for a life time. I do happen to come from a culture of super tight knit families though, that might skew my view. I’ve seen family members go to the N’th degree in terms of generosity with their time, finances etc.