Scrolling

I just can’t stand how recent websites scroll. If I’m reading through an article and I scroll to the next paragraph, I’m on another article!

I was recently called a luddite which i had to google, and I’m afraid that might be true- but surely I’m not the only one with this problem? Or am I the only one with problems with all these fancy websites? (Bloomberg is ok. I can’t recall which one was esp giving me trouble, I know linkedin articles do but most of them are crap)

Or maybe it’s a hardware thing? I use one of those red button mouse (can’t think of correct name only raunchy ones). I don’t use a mouse because my senior colleague told me first day of job “real analysts don’t use mouse or keyboard”…so just laptop+2 monitors.

But I hate this scrolling!! Would it improve with a mouse scroll?

Also excel doesn’t scroll lately either… maybe it is hardware. Usually horizontal scrolling is the issue (esp if I’m remote connected)

Any computer experts that can help me here? Or someone just tell me that yes these new website designs are annoying.

You don’t use a mouse OR a keyboard? You control your computer with mind control?

Yes

I use a mouse, and I don’t see why people need to be snobs about mouses.

There are certainly times using Excel that keyboard shortcuts can help, but I only use a handful of them (I’ve started using the one that you can automatically populate a formula through a range more, it’s great on big spreadsheets).

To your first point, I don’t like when websites do that either, but it’s only a few. Like maybe quora or one of them like that. It’s basically the sites that are designed to be viewed on a tablet or iphone. Either they’re too cool to design a good desktop site or they are too lazy.

I do feel that it’s faster to work with laptop keyboard and laptop mouse… minimally. It really is a snob thing, similar to manual drivers. I see no difference between manual and auto, they both get me from point a to point b.

Didn’t realize it was a tablet thing tho.

I use a trackball with a navigation ring on it. I like using it to scroll, though I wish the jumps were finer so it gets a smoother experience. If I press the shift key down and use it, it switches from scrolling vertically to scrolling horizontally, which is good for excel stuff.

I also have one of the buttons set to do a scroll lock. That locks the pointer to where it is currently, and then the trackball will scroll whatever it’s pointed to. I find it gives the smooth scrolling I like, though it’s an extra step to unlock it and go back to normal trackballism.

A trackball hey, that’s pretty old school.

I prefer a trackball to a mouse. I’m not sure whether I prefer it to a trackpad. For scrolling, a trackpad is nice, but the trackball is good when you need to get the mouse across the screen in a hurry. The trackball also has more buttons.

To be honest, I have both, but I use the trackball more often. I use a mouse with my laptop when travelling, and that’s about it.

Quartz mag is like that i think