The Great Debate of our time

(I’m really hoping Sweep will weigh in here.)

Now that the LoTR/Hobbit is finished, how does it relate to Star Wars on the awesome scale?

My .02 - In the first three movies, Star Wars original trilogy > LoTR. But in the last three movies, Hobbit > Star Wars prequels. So it might be a tie.

If we’re talking purely the movies, Star Wars > LoTR. I’m obviously assuming the prequels were never made. And the Hobbit movies were so far removed from the book I won’t consider them either. So, the three SW films were/are much better than the three LoTR movies.

Now if we’re comparing the Star Wars universe vs. the LoTR universe, Tolkien wins hands down. Not even close.

LoTR movies were far and away the best series of movies I’ve ever seen. The Hobbit series was a drawn out money grab. The original Star Wars trilogy ranks right behind LoTR for me. The Star Wars prequels were horribly acted, but I thought the story was better than drawing out the Hobbit to three movies.

The Hobbit/LoTR could have been amazing if they did them together as 5 movies. Draw out The Hobbit a little bit to 1 and 1/2 movies and extend LoTR to 3 and 1/2 movies.

Disclaimer: I’ve not yet seen the final Hobbit movie but the first two didn’t do much for me despite the fact that I loved the book and loved LoTR.

star wars original >> all

LOTR was stupid or boring sometimes

hobbit series I argee was a money grab

star trek prequels are actually good, but not star wars original good

It’s been a while since I read the book, but I felt the Hobbit book was drawn out just by the way it was written and I assumed it’d be an awful movie. I’m not a fan of fiction though, so that may have had something to do with my impression.

Comparing a 1977-1983 movie trilogy to a 2001-2003 trilogy, doesn’t work for me, especially since both are graphics driven.

Star Wars is a simpler story line, however, since the books were less “classic” before the movies came out, it could surprise us better. LoTR is a much richer story line, and that probably has to do with what STL said about comparing the universes.

Neither of the prequels measured up to the original series, though Revenge of the Sith was good, and I thought the Desolation of Smaug was better than the other two. In both series, what makes the prequels interesting is how it illuminates the backstory and fills out the universe of the original… they really aren’t all that compelling on their own. Admittedly, Star Wars’ prequels might have measured up better if the acting had been better.

LOTR is better because they removed Tom Bombadil, while Star Wars still had those mother fucking ewoks.

Edit: Just look at this douche bag.

I would rather cringe my way through Phantom Menance and maybe even (the far worse) Attack of the Clones than watch that last Hobbit movie again. The first two were good though.

I loved the LoTR trilogy movies. The Hobbit was a disappointment though.

The only Star Wars movies I watch was the end of Episode 1, when Anakin unrealistically blows up the round ball (death star?) by himself and also when he was a teenager (Revenge of the Sith?)

I was extremely disappointed that Tom Bombadil was cut from The Fellowship of the Ring movie.

my friends made me watch LOTR. it was the worst movie ever. i feel asleep 3 times during it. the only movie that might of been worse is district 9

igor, what is your list of top 5 best movies? I am just wondering. Taras Bulba?

Star Wars, because LOTR is too long-winded and romanticized

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but yours sucks and I hope you get a really bad hangnail today.

Which opinion? That LOTR is better than Star Wars, or that ewoks are a bunch of motherfuckers?

^Your dislike for TB. He’s represents the biggest riddle in the entire Tolkien universe. The dude wields total power, has a hot wife, hasn’t aged a day in over 7,000 years, and The Ring has absolutely no power over him. He wears it and doesn’t disappear and, for shits and giggles, makes the ring disappear in front of Frodo just to troll him. Gandalf thinks nothing less than Sauron’s entire strength could dent TB’s area of influence. And, TB is the definition of giving zero fucks. Give him the ring for safe keeping? Nope, he’d just throw it away because fuck that noise.

@Greenie - Have you heard about the R2D2 and Chewbacca theory? There’s a pretty well thought-out theory that they’re actually the two most pivotal characters in Star Wars.

Check it out.

http://fantheories.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars

lets see…

catch me if you can

bourne trilogy

goodfellas

big lebowski

terminator/american pie/usual suspects

Tom Bombadil is definitely one of those wierd mysteries, particularly since the Ring has no power over him. Yet he’s still basically happy-go-lucky. Perhaps he represents the Swiss.