World Video Game Hall of Fame

https://games.yahoo.com/news/pong-tetris-video-game-hall-fames-first-class-143522726.html

Congratulations to the inaugural class! Inductees include:

• Pong (1972)
  • Doom (1993)
  • Super Mario Bros. (1985)
  • Pac-Man (1980)
  • Tetris (1984)
  • World of Warcraft (2004)

Other finalists included

• Angy Birds,
  • FIFA,
  • The Legend of Zelda,
  • Minecraft,
  • Oregon Trail,
  • Pokemon,
  • The Sims,
  • Sonic the Hedgehog, and
  • Space Invaders.

I’m surprised that no Square Soft/Enix games made the list.

Solid list, can’t argue with most of them.

i would add Myst.

No Goldeneye? Weak.

Also, ET.

Isn’t Doom and Goldeneye more or less the same thing? The original Halo?

Doom was for PC and pve, while Goldeneye was more console pvp.

I would add Street Fighter II to the list.

Metroid.

Tecmo bowl?

Halo for sure. Civilization should be in there soon enough.

It’ll be interesting how they handle sports games. Obviously Madden should be in there but the last 12 years have completely sucked. NHLPA '94 is a shoe-in as well.

Can’t believe Zelda didn’t make the cut.

Galaga, Tron, Mortal Kombat…

And, honestly, how did GTA III (or all of them) not make the list? That’s probably the biggest oversight.

CoD

^Tell your mom hi for me.

I think a game should be up for HOF consideration if you can still play them to this day and be entertained. Games like Starcraft, NHL 94, Mario Kart 64, and GTA come to mind. Wolfenstein was also a game changer in it’s day, although it’s hard to play any of the old FPS with the new games/technology/graphics these days.

edit: NBA Jam and Worms are two more that just came to mind.

I was thinking NHL as well. Memories…

Madden franchise too.

Zelda needs to be up there.

Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, Metal Gear Solid

I would add to that list, some version of GTA or whoever started the whole “open world” concept. Also, an early RTS like Command and Conquer or the original Warcraft.

Zelda not making the cut this time is befuddling.

most of the “hall of fame” games tend to be simple minded and easy to pick up. not surprising, much like mobile gaming taking off because they’re easy to start/stop/pick up with your cell phone waiting for a subway or on the toilet, the average simpleton isn’t going to learn warcraft stategy builds or pour hours in GTA.

Truly revolutionary games deserve to be on that list, wolfenstein, Halo, CS all deserve merits in 1st person shooters, GTA free range, command & conquer for original strategy, then starcraft and warcraft following that

yes

i totally agree that C&C, GTA, Wolf, Halo, Zelda, Pokemon, MGS, SF2 and Goldeneye should be in the HoF very soon.

i think the tough thing with sports games is that they tend to build on each other. nobody talks about NHL Hockey '91, NHLPA '93 or NHL Stanley Cup but they all were revolutionary games at the time, more so than NHL '94 and built most of the basis of NHL '94. NHL '94 was just more popular. I actually might prefer NHLPA 93 for the reason that it feels unique and it lacks the cheapness that one-timers brought to NHL video games and NHL '94 feels the same as NHLs '95-'03. The reason why NHLPA 93 is featured in the movie ‘Swingers’, released in '96, and not the widely popular NHL '94 is because it is considered much better by those who actually like hockey and video games.

i would add to the list Final Fantasy, ahead of Pokemon b/c it’s basically the same concept but several years ahead and equally as good, as well as FF7, which was probably the best game for 3 or 4 years running.

Sega Genesis – X-Men

N64 – Starfox

Original XBox – XIII

Arcade – Final Fight, Mortal Kombat, Hard Drivin’, Outrun

all the games i remember that were amazing chronological. like min 500 hrs.

wc2 /wc3

red alert

tactics ogre/fft / ff7

sims/simcity

sc / sc2

civilization

cs

diablo 2

cod

mount and blade

crusader kings 2

dota

with friends i remember:

super smash, faceoff, nba jams. 2k wahtever. tekken. budokai. soul caliber. marior kart. mari soccer. lol