10-Dollar Bill: Face Change

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-06-18/a-woman-on-the-10-bill-will-bolster-obama-s-legacy

Discuss:

What Woman should go on the ‘new’ 10-dollar bill?

probably one of the past women presidents who has made a significant impact on the nation’s history … oh wait

Steve Jobs

Discuss:

Is the current administration, who is Democrat, trying to pander to its constituents? How many more votes would they get by getting a black woman (Harriet Tubman, as Obama suggested)?

Caitlyn Jenner.

Oprah

You can’t go higher than 100%

Janet Yellen

#StevenTyler

“Dude looks like a laaaaday”

How about Betsy Ross (though I gather the story about her designing the flag is highly embellished).

Harriet Tubman would be an interesting choice.

Susan B. Anthony is on the US $1 Dollar coin, maybe she deserves a raise from 1979… oh wait, she’s middle class - no raise for her.

Or you could just auction it off, and Donald would pay to put Ivanka Trump on the bill (though will insist that she has TRUMP tattooed on her chest, above her bosom.

I don’t think any historical woman should be on this bill. If a woman shows up, it will just be because she is a woman. The top 50 influential people in American history so far are probably all men; women just didn’t do as much important stuff here until the 20th century.

Now, if this were 200 years from today, and future Americans were looking for unbiased choices for 21st century people to put on future money, then it’s conceivable that several women would qualify. However, that’s not really the case so far and thus, the choice to include a women on the $10 bill is just some PC vote pandering nonsense.

I’m with Ohai. Putting a woman on the bill because she’s a woman and clearly not because she’s earned it via accomplishments greater than the other contenders does nothing to further the cause.

Wow. Why don’t you guys read the wikipedia entrys for some of the people they’re debating putting on the 10 dollar bill and compare them with say Andrew Jackson.

They’re removing Alexander Hamilton who is the weaker of the two non-presidents (Ben Franklin being the other). In my mind if they’re going to do anything they should just switch hiim for a president. So given that the convention is typically to use presidents and the fact that we’re actually removing Alexander Hamilton, the proper threshold is to compare those wiki entries to Alexander Hamilton.

If they want to remove Andrew Jackson I’d be all for it, but I think the replacement should be merit based w/r/t US history. Personally I’d prefer all presidents with possibly JFK and or FDR getting a well deserved spot.

The proper threshold would be ***all Americans in history***. Maybe Jackson is a loser President, so kick him out. Who to replace him? Anyone out of all Americans, not subject to arbitrary constraints.

Let’s say you fire your coworker who sucks. Are you going to say, oh let’s hire someone who is the same competency? No, you just replace him with the best person of everyone you can choose.

Or even more accurately, if you fire someone who was an above average employee (Alexander Hamilton) would your target replacement be someone who’s marginally better than your worst employee (Andrew Jackson)?

Put washington on some other bill and throw a female on the $1 bill. This way when im slipping the strippers 1s they can see just how far they have come.

I don’t know, Susan B Anthony fast tracked equal rights for half the population with zero political power. Not bad. History is taught by the winners which is part of the reason people think putting a woman on the currency is PC BS.

It’s interesting that when you look at the faces on commonly used denominations, they are mostly people from either the Revolutionary War era or the Civil War era. Jackson on the $20 is the odd man out, though arguably he was at least alive during the Revolutionary era.

$1 - Washington - Revolutionary era

$2 - Jefferson - Revolutionary era

$5 - Lincoln - Civil War era

$10 - Hamilton - Revolutionary era

$20 - Jackson - halfway between the two, though he fought in the war of 1812

$50 - Grant - Civil War era

$100 - Franklin - Revolutionary era

In general, the lower demonination bills seem to have the more universally admired people. Someone told me that this was because the smaller denominations appear more often so get seen by more people and are therefore more present in people’s minds.

On coinage, there is wider selection:

1 cent - Lincoln - Civil War era

5 cents - Jefferson - Revolutionary era

10 cents - Franklin Roosevelt - depression/WWII

25 cents - Washington - Revolutionary era

50 cents - Kennedy - post-WWII

$1 coin - varies, but Eisenhower is the first president to appear on a $1 coin - WWII / post WWII era

There are a bunch of versions of the $1 coin.

The Eisenhower “silver” dollar is really big; I haven’t seen one in decades, except in collections.

The Susan B Anthony dollar coin is slightly bigger than a quarter, but basically failed, in part because it was too hard to distinguish from a quarter.

Another $1 coin was tried in the early 2000s, and still comes up now and then but seems not to be all that popular. It is the same size as the Susan B. Anthony dollar so it would work in machines, but they changed the color of the metal to make it easy to distinguish from a quarter (good call). It had Washington on it, and also Sacagawea (a decent candidate for women on currency, I think). I think they also tried to do a bunch of other presidents and people, but I forget whom.

$1 coins are still unpopular, and come mostly as change from vending machines, though they do work in NYC busses for those who pay cash fare (which is good, because paper doesn’t work, and it takes a lot of other coins to add up to $2.50 - or is it $2.75 now?)

LARGE BILLS

Currency used to be issued by individual banks, and could have whoever they wanted on them. In terms of Federal Reseve notes, there are a few notes that were produced but rarely circulated. I’m not sure they’re even valid anymore (though how they would be canceled is a separate question). I remembered that Grover Cleveland was on the $1000. From Wikipedia, I see some of the others:

$500 - William KcKinley - end of Guilded Age / Beginning of Progressive Era / Plus US Imperial era in the western hemisphere

earlier, the $500 had John Marshall - Revolutionary Era

$1000 - Grover Cleveland - Roaring 20s

earlier, the $1000 had Alexander Hamilton- Revolutionary Era

$5000 - James Madison - Revolutionary Era

$10,000 - Salmon P. Chase - Civil War era (sec. Treasury), later Chief Justice

When considering women on currency, some of these might give us some ideas about non-presidents that have made it. Maybe we just need to put Carly Fiorina on the $1,000,000 Federal Reserve note?? No one will actually see her, but everyone will know she’s worth a lot.