Obamatrade

Obama and Repubs found something they could agree on.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/24/us-usa-trade-idUSKBN0P40BJ20150624

After a six-week congressional battle including two brushes with failure, some fancy legislative footwork and myriad backroom deals to keep the legislation alive, the Senate voted 60 to 38 to grant Obama “fast-track” power to negotiate trade deals and speed them through Congress.

The bill next goes to the president for his signature.

That could propel the 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a central element of Obama’s foreign policy pivot to Asia, over the finish line, while also boosting hopes for completing an ambitious trade deal with the European Union.

U.S. labor groups, which fought fast-track, said they will redouble their efforts. “We will vigorously oppose TPP if it continues on its current course,” AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka wrote in a letter to lawmakers.

The TPP, potentially a legacy-defining achievement for Obama, would be the biggest free trade agreement in a generation and rank with the North American Free Trade Agreement, which liberalized trade between the United States, Canada and Mexico, while also serving as a counterweight to the rise of China.

Free trade is a good thing.

I always question a bill that is rejected then, with some revisions, passes by a landslide…

Who won and who lost?

If enough horses were traded for a significant number of votes to change, it’s a fair bet that nobody won and the American people lost. I’m all for the free trade agreement, but as you said, there was some serious abandoning of princples taking place between the first vote and the last vote. Abandoning my principles does’t come cheaply, and I imagine the same holds true for congress.

Huh?

That’s why you’re not a politician.