Indian stampede kills 27, injures thousands.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/07/14/india-religious-festival-stampede/30121609/

"At least 27 people were killed and dozens injured Tuesday in a stampede during a Hindu religious bathing festival on a river bank in southern India.

The stampede was triggered by some pilgrims who were trying to retrieve their shoes, which had fallen off in the rush to the river bank, police said.

…Deadly stampedes are fairly common during Indian religious festivals, where large crowds gather in small areas with few safety or crowd control measures.

In October 2013, a stampede in Madhya Pradesh state in central India killed more than 110 people, mostly women and children."

I imagine a bunch of cattle fleeing the stampede in ironical terror.

Their version of Pamplona?

What the…

Or the literal version of their stampede from IT to finance.

^ LOL

That must be weird. Imagine you are in a crowd and you find yourself walking over some guy’s body. Why can’t someone shoot a gun in the air and say “everybody freeze” or something.

Yes, shooting guns on the air was definitely the solution.

Lol. A couple of years back when things were looking relatively stable in Iraq there would be a small but steady Iraqi contingent that would travel to India for the affordable healthcare. All these cases were injuries caused by firing guns in the air which is done whenever there is reason to celebrate in Iraq apparently. Turns out when the bullet comes down it can still do some serious damage.

The OP is nothing. If you want to experience a neverending stream of humanity on a holy pilgrimage then you have to experience the Kumbh Mela. The last one was in 2013 and attracted 100 million people. That’s not a typo and the charas is to die for.

If you’re looking to hook up with White chicks who still believe in the ‘free love’ culture of the hippie generation you’d find them in spades there though they seem to have a fetish for the Indian godmen or sadhus.

Not true.

This is the same argument as “if you drop a penny from the top of the Empire State Building, it will kill somebody”, because it starts to travel faster than terminal velocity, or something. And it’s not true.

I’m sure S2000 or Mobius Strip (or another mathemagician) will tell us more.

It doesn’t have to be shooting guns in the air. I meant there should be some form of crowd control and a way to get people’s attention - like even some guy with a loudspeaker who stands there and says yo, don’t step on the guy on the floor.

after someone starts shooting, increase the amount of poeple trampled and killed by x5

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode50

Bullets fired into the air maintain their lethal capability when they eventually fall back down.

BUSTED / PLAUSIBLE / CONFIRMED

In the case of a bullet fired at a precisely vertical angle (something extremely difficult for a human being to duplicate), the bullet would tumble, lose its spin, and fall at a much slower speed due to terminal velocity and is therefore rendered less than lethal on impact. However, if a bullet is fired upward at a non-vertical angle (a far more probable possibility), it will maintain its spin and will reach a high enough speed to be lethal on impact. Because of this potentiality, firing a gun into the air is illegal in most states, and even in the states that it is legal, it is not recommended by the police. Also the MythBusters were able to identify two people who had been injured by falling bullets, one of them fatally injured. To date, this is the only myth to receive all three ratings at the same time.

What if the guns were automatic and someone was adding to the pandamoniom with a loudspeaker? Maybe soothing them with calls of “Allah Snackbar!” ?

edit: and yes, I realize India is predominately Hindu

If you fire a bullet straight up it has no horizontal component and falls after reaching terminal velocity and causes no damage. If it is fired at an angle then it falls after it’s vertical component reaches zero but can still retain it’s horizontal component which can cause mild to fatal damage depending on circumstances.

I remember this from a mythbusters episode.

This is correct. I too saw that episode.

Edit: Credit to BS. He got there first.