Books and Movies

Just watched Margin Call, which wasn’t bad, and I also read Way of the Turtle (thought it was pretty good). Anyone else seen or read these, respectively?

Any other similar books you might recommend?

Also, maybe I was tired when I began reading The Intelligent Investor, but I couldn’t get into it right away–anyone else?

Something Ventured (start of VC) on Netflix was pretty decent as well.

I mostly focus on books written by current or ex-central bankers, imf guys, economists, etc - this is mostly because I find general investing/trading books to be quite disappointing. I recently read the book written by Tim Geithner (that’s a good read for trading around greece/china), Paulson’s book on China (mid-way through this one) and have Clinton’s book on hard choices (I bought it as I thought it’ll help me better decode geopolitical events).

Most books on trading are disappointing as they talk too much about the psychological part of it - when, especially in today’s time, you need to be a technical expert in your product to be profitable in the long run.

I’ll check out way of turtle if you say it’s good.

Way of the Turtle discusses the psychology a lot (for sticking to a system), and for the most part, any quant material is very basic (addressing proficiencies needed to trade). So, if you don’t like the psychology of it, you may not like this book. I find psychology interesting most of the time, and I haven’t read many investing books about it (so I don’t have much reference). The next book on my list is Market Wizards.

Market Wizards is good read, very interesting… pdfs are available online.

Gotchya! Checkout antifragile by taleb and traders, guns & money by Das-the latter is mostly on complex derivatives.

Taleb, Taleb, Taleb

Thanks for the feedback! I’m going to take a look at some of these and (hopefully) read them soon (within a year).

Watching End of Days … super stoned - its kind of hilarious at times

Antifragile sounds amazing… its on audible too.

Too Big To Fail (the movie) was great ( must have watched it 3 times). Fun to see some of the notorius bank CEOs portrayed by actors.

Feedback: one hour into Antifragile… where has this book been all my life?