Hacksaw Magician

http://nypost.com/2015/09/15/magician-nearly-drowns-in-botched-underwater-stunt/

the clap was really unnecessary

another hacksaw

http://nyp.st/1WUpeKJ

I need a ruling from S2000. I don’t really consider escape artists to be magicians.

I wouldn’t want to call Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon a magician for getting out of a straitjacket. Then again, as far as I know (which isn’t much), Houdini was pretty much only an escape artist but he’s the poster child for magicians.

Yep, I’m confused. S2000, what say ye?

I think escape artists should only be called magicians if they represent that magic was instrumental to the performance. If someone escapes by being a “master at locks” or something like that, he is not a magician. However, if he claims to just disappear and escape by teleportation, then he could be called a magician.

On a related note, perhaps the term “magician” itself needs to be revised, since no magic is presumably used in any magic performance. A better term would be “illusionist” or maybe just “tricky dicky”.

Of course that magician was hacksaw… he was doing his stunt in NJ. Not even a big enough boy to be in NYC.

Side note. A few years ago when the great David Blaine did that ridiculously stupid act where he stood on a pole for a very long time wearing some metal thing that zapped him with lightening, I went to see it late at night before a concert. There were few people there, some terrible sounds were playing, and I just saw this sad dead look in his eyes. I felt sorry for him in that moment.

S2000 whats your take on good ole David Blaine? I thought he gave up magic and took his career in the direction of stupid live stunds, but his street magic special like a year or 2 ago was fucking awesome

I saw David Blaine a couple of days into the stunt where he was in a water bubble at Lincoln Center. It was amusing for a couple of minutes.

Id rather have seen that, sounds at least somewhat interesting

all magicians are illusionists

I saw David Copperfield’s show recently. It was awesome.