So they keep things real over there in Turkey...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/nov/24/russian-jet-downed-by-turkish-planes-near-syrian-border-live-updates

boom goes dynamite

^ wrong reference bro. you should have said “Wu-tang!”

according to putin, Turkey is buying oil from ISIs

I wouldn’t doubt it. Turkey really doesn’t seem to have a dog in this fight.

They’ve only really cracked down on ISIS units within their borders, probably figure being a buyer gives them leverage to work through the ISIS brass and really don’t like the Kurds. Think about it, you probably get oil at a steep discount, keep ISIS off your back and strengthen the guys fighting the Kurds while also believing that ISIS will either fail (in which case you’re safe) or succeed (in which case you’re positioned as an ally).

On the other side, Putin has been parading his strong arm diplomacy. He got Crimea, which is an economic liability and a mess which cost him both militarily and economically through sanctions that significantly destabilized his economy. Then he parades into Syria as the conquering hero, which promptly gets an airliner full of Russian’s knocked down and now a fighter jet shot down.

US officials said a month ago that Turkey, the Kurds and even Assad were buying ISIS oil.

Putin will take his shirt off around some bears and it will all be ok.

Sure they do. The Turks are fighting the Kurds which the Canadians and Americans are training to fight ISIS. Turkey is borderline allied with ISIS.

ISIS takes over regions of the country and sells oil on the gray market. A wide range of customers buy their oil. I’m not even sure if the oil’s origin is known. I don’t think there is an ISIS brand barrel or something.

Don’t buy the ticking ones.

Not necessarily, they can handle the Kurds and ISIS still presents a real threat and has also attacked them on their soil. Probably not their ideal neighbor long term. So in the end, they’re probably willing to observe this one from a sideline seat and let other nations spend their money on the fight.

Hey I’m liking these Turkey bros, that news did cool stuff for one of my options. We need more action; bring on the nuclear launches, rate hikes, $20 oil, etc.

^ Nuclear launches aren’t compatible with $20 oil.

Russia has to stop pushing it. Fly out of your airspace, get 10 warnings and still not leaving? Well then, you asked to get shot down

There could be. Oil isn’t like copper or gold. There can be major differences in composition. A barrel of oil produced in California is quite distinguishable from a barrel from an area in Texas. Sulfur content and API gravity are most common, but there are many other characteristics that are distinguishable differences.

I don’t know much about the oilfields in the region where ISIS has control, but you could probably just call up Schlumberger and ask them to ID these barrels of oil and they could do it for you. There’s a ton of science in this stuff. They’ve probably worked in that region at some point and know the geology well.

I was sort of joking before. Yes, if someone was really motivated, they could probably figure out where the oil came from, just based on supplier connections. However, when you are buying wholesale oil for low prices in an extremely corrupt area, I don’t think these guys care about fair trade or all that stuff.

The plane was over Turkish airspace for 5-10 seconds at most. Sounds like an over aggressive hyped up Turkish pilot. Though yes, the Russians should stop pushing it.

Interesting, a NATO-Russia engagement takes pressure off ISIS.

I seem to recall several cases over the last few weeks (or however long Russia has been flying missions in Syria recently) where Turkey has accussed Russia of violating its airspace and warned them that they would shoot down planes that do it again.

Are you suggesting that the Turkish government risked a war with Russia just to help out ISIS?